News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

ONE BIG GIANT THREAD

Started by CapnK, Feb 02, 2023, 08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Kidd

Happy New Year to all!

And welcome, Kathy. Where are you in NC? I began sailing when we lived in Roanoke Rapids back in 1999. I bought my first sailboat in Kinston, a Kells 23. We sailed her mostly on Lake Gaston.

Kathy - Ensenada 20

I am in Greenville, NC and mostly sail on the rivers here in eastern NC :)

Kathy - Ensenada 20

@Noemi - Thanks! I would love to chat with you about tips for the Ensenada. I've just put some new bottom paint on her so that I can keep her in the water for longer periods of time. I will be putting her into a slip in early March and have some ASA sailing lessons on her scheduled for late March (I've sailed for 3.5 years now, but never took official lessons and I need some, for sure!). Once I actually take her out for the first time, I'm sure I will have more questions, but if anything comes to your mind right away, as in "Anyone with an Ensenada should know this", please let me know! Thanks :)

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Anyone with an Ensenada should know that they are NOT easy to tip over!  When I bought my boat, I had only ever sailed small boats like Sunfish and a Sea Witch.  I had dumped them, too, and was leery of dumping a boat as large as the Ensenada.  So some sailing friends came to visit, we took her out in a big blow, held her sail in too tight, stood on the SIDES of the cockpit seats, and watched to see what would happen.  What happened was that once she heeled far enough over, the rudder came up out of the water, and she turned up into the wind and sat upright.  I was never worried after that.

I know that if I took her out in more dangerous conditions, or with confused seas, the results could be different.  But she WANTS to sail upright.

Captain Kidd

Quote from: Kathy - Ensenada 20 on Feb 11, 2024, 11:21 AMI am in Greenville, NC and mostly sail on the rivers here in eastern NC :)

I've been to Greenville numerous times but never sailed over that way except a charter out of Edenton with a church group. That happened to be my first time on a sailboat - an O'Day 28. Unfortunately the wind was calm the entire time we  were out. When shopping for a boat, I visited Washington, Oriental, New Bern
 and a couple other places. Lots of water in eastern NC. My sister lives in Beaufort, NC. I haven't visited her since she retired there. One day I'd love to sail out to Cape Lookout. I'm also interested in the Watertribe event they host there.

Wolverine

Hello!  I recently joined and I sail an '85 Compac 19/II.  Originally from northern IL, I retired in 2019 and moved to "The Sailing Capital of North Carolina", Oriental. I've trailered my 19 to participate in events in southern IL, southern IN, WI, FL, GA, and the North Channel. I'm thinking about hosting a small boat get together here and wondering if there is any interest.
1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

Give me a big boat and I'll sail the coastline.  Let me have a trailable boat,  and I'll sail her anywhere I desire.

Frank B.

Quote from: Wolverine on Feb 14, 2024, 09:41 PMHello!  I recently joined and I sail an '85 Compac 19/II.  Originally from northern IL, I retired in 2019 and moved to "The Sailing Capital of North Carolina", Oriental. I've trailered my 19 to participate in events in southern IL, southern IN, WI, FL, GA, and the North Channel. I'm thinking about hosting a small boat get together here and wondering if there is any interest.

Seems to coincidental for this not to be AKA CC.  Welcome at any rate.

Wolverine

Seems to coincidental for this not to be AKA CC.  Welcome at any rate.

Yikes! My cover has been blown!
1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

Give me a big boat and I'll sail the coastline.  Let me have a trailable boat,  and I'll sail her anywhere I desire.

Noemi - Ensenada 20

We have had get togethers in the past, and I've been to a few.  They were all a blast.  I'm sure people would be interested.