Good Book - Gentle Art of Pottering: Book 2

Started by DBthal, Apr 26, 2023, 10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBthal

I have really enjoyed reading this book that I downloaded to my Kindle app:

Gentle Art of Pottering: Book 2 https://a.co/d/ckS3rk4

This is a 2022 update to a book that has been around for years.

From the introduction:
Quote...now as an octogenarian, I would like to pass on the sailing skills I've learned over the last sixty-five years to those small boat sailors who are interested.

The author is a very long time racer, cruiser, and tinkerer in his Potter 15. Although not the same as our Precisions, most of the information is applicable, especially to P-165 & P-18.

I liked his suggestions for taking time out of the rigging and launching process.

Dan
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Dave Scobie

Dave Bacon is an excellent sailor!

If you enjoyed his writing in Gentle Art of Pottering I recommend you read his other book - Sailing From Behind the Curve

FortyFour

A not at all gentle book that I *enjoyed* recently, "Under the Eye of the Storm" by John Hersey. Very tense and psychological, but a knowing and well written sailing book with a surplus of tactics and ordeals. Also, interesting social commentary and insight, along with heavy weather reality.

Riggerdood

Will definitely have to check out those three. A sailing book I've always enjoyed is Godforsaken Sea, by Derek Lundy. It's about the ill-fated '96-'97 Vendee Globe. A factual account which also delves into the psyche of the long distance offshore sailor, and what makes them tick.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand