News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

P23

Started by s2sailorlis@gmail.com, May 08, 2023, 07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s2sailorlis@gmail.com

Looking for input on P23 sailing characteristics. I've owned 22-27ft in the past (Tanzer, S2) and currently have a Cape Dory 22. Wanting to go back to more modern fin keel design (though love the Cape Dory lines).  The P23 looks interesting. 

i sail on Long Island Sound, boat stays in water all summer.

Mainly use for day sailing, and occasional overnight.

Brian N.

Can't help you too much with the P23 sailing characteristics, but I did sail a Tanzer 22 several times. Great boat. I sail typically in the Northport, Smithtown and Port Jefferson area, and summer day sailing usually starts with light morning wind from the West S/W and may build through the day (sometimes not). The P23 with its' generous sail area and lighter weight should be a "good fit".

You cannot view this attachment.
Fair winds
Brian N.

jspoone

I have a P23 that I sail on inland mountain lakes in East TN.  Wind speed ranges from 4 to 20 kts and the mountains cause it to swirl.  You rarely ever have a constant wind direction or speed.  With this said, the P23 works well for me in these conditions.  I have ran all the lines back to the helm since I mainly single-hand.  Anything specific you want to know?

s2sailorlis@gmail.com

thanks for the feedback.  i'm curious how it handles in 15-20  knots.  do you get much weather helm, any need to reef?  how is  she in a short chop of 2-3 feet?  any model specific issues to look for when inspecting a used P23? 

thx!

Quote from: jspoone on May 09, 2023, 02:06 PMI have a P23 that I sail on inland mountain lakes in East TN.  Wind speed ranges from 4 to 20 kts and the mountains cause it to swirl.  You rarely ever have a constant wind direction or speed.  With this said, the P23 works well for me in these conditions.  I have ran all the lines back to the helm since I mainly single-hand.  Anything specific you want to know?

Tom G P 21

I have a 21 that I sail off Salem Ma. and Cape Ann. I've also taken it for short trips down to Old Saybrook on LI Sound. Mine is lighter than the 23 but in 15-20 knots it will heal over quite a bit before the shoal keel stiffens up. Also with the flatter bottom vs a full keel boat it tends to pound when going through chop. There are times when I am out that I have "keel envy" of other boats. Unfortunately in the sailboat market the first class that manufacturers dropped was the 23-25ft boats. They found that they make more money with 30ft boats or that there is a market still for 21ft and under.

davepowell

I sailed and raced a P23 on Sarasota Bay for 10 years. Typically reefed at 15 kts, over 20 kts it became a lot of work.

jspoone

I normally reef at 15 kts as well.  You get a little weather helm, not reefed above 15 kts, but it is manageable.  My P23 is an '88 model, but it is still in very good condition.  It sat in a boat yard in Georgia for several years, before the people that I bought it from purchased it.  They added new sails, furler for the jib and put a new coat of bottom paint on it and only kept if for a couple years.  The only issue I have found is some leaking from the chain plates.  It is not leaking now, but you can see some water damage from the past.  I have had it for three years now and it's been a great little boat. 

s2sailorlis@gmail.com

thanks guys. i read on some other forums issues regarding leaky chain plates.  lots of boats have that issue, but my question is how persistent an issue this is, ie, if you fix it, how long does the fix last?

re reefing, i need to do the same on my CD22.  the weather helm becomes problematic as if i feel im gonna crack the tiller.  heeling doesn't bother me,

Brian S

The duration of the fix depends on how you fix it. If you just smear more 5200 around the chainplates like they did at the factory, you'll get (if memory serves from previous posts) another maybe 10 years before they leak again. Some folks have used Bed-it butyl tape (currently available from Hamilton Marine, not sure if it's the same product that Maine Sail/Compass Marine used to sell) with some success. A good formula butyl is certainly very flexible, which I think is important for chainplates.

I don't think of this as a problem. It's like getting your brakes done in the car. For this, if you notice any evidence of leaking, bust out the repair again. Chainplates inside are visible on the bulkhead.