There's only one of ME!

Started by Riley Smith, May 20, 2023, 07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riley Smith

I wish I had a couple of more of me; you know, a few clones. Albeit it without the smart mouth and rebellious attitude! No, not to be so absorbed that I think that would be the perfect model, just that I'm familiar with the operating system and the specifications never mentioned perfect. Me and my crew could get ahead of the 8-ball in short order! It's a shame technology hadn't reached that peak and my parents could have made a couple of more of me; just muscle and sinew, without a brain function at all and negating those moral problems associated with such a relationship. You know, Riley the pack mule 4-wheel drive edition.

It didn't happen and I remain snowed under with the obligations of family, work, and the necessities of this and that stealing away the remaining free time. I have written much lately, a sure sign that the load is heavy. Summer and heat is already here in the Southland and I'm looking at it for the 68th time, wondering how many more I'll see. It only gets tougher from here on out, but that isn't up to me. And I suppose that's one quality of the clone that I know and need; there ain't no quit in them. There's a whole lot of tough where that came from, too. Kinda reminds me of that verse..."And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."

So, some woolgathering this morning as the light cometh and the thunder rumbles off Biloxi as a morning storm is raking the shore. Yes, the load is heavy but there are wonderful things along the way. Like the cool morning air, and the tower of the thunderstorm giving a pastel pink to the clear air. And last night, exhausted, but wrestling with the grandkids in the big bed. A child's giggle is worth more than gold. The beautiful light more than diamonds. Yes, there are wonderful things along the way.

Chores await this morning if it doesn't rain, and a supply/parts trip if it does. I ditched work for a week....to WORK! (Maybe some boat work will happen, too.) I'm telling you, something is wrong with this whole scenario LOL!

You cannot view this attachment.
Riley

Captain Kidd

I hear you. Facing my 68th summer as well. Day off yesterday. I knocked out 2 items on my to do list and snuck in a short sail in the late afternoon. Actually, a half sail - half row. Slept like a baby last night - of course, that was after I took 2 Aleves.

Wayne Howard

I feel your pain, Riley. Over the last year, the "honey do" list and the "boat project" list has grown since I can't do much about either one. My girlfriend/wife has not been pushing me as several of the projects require climbing a ladder (with a cane?) Speaking of angels, on the 22nd, we will have been married for 20 years. Seems like just yesterday at times. Anyway, we're headed to P-cola after Memorial Day to work some deck level projects on the boat. Installing the windex is definitely at the bottom of the project list this month! But we need to get the boat ready for a BEER cruise and I have drafted Connie's two youngest boys as deck monkeys.  ;D
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Norm L.

Doing work on your boat gains you points with Saints Francis of Paola, Elmo, Clement, Francis the Gardener, Christopher, Nicholas of Myra, and Brendon.

As you can see, in the early days sailors called on all the help they could get.

Riley Smith

A long day and it did rain. TWICE! (Although not the storm pictured). That's not helping much in a couple of ways since all of the work takes place outside and I need to burn some debris from land clearing, too. Even the boat work can't be done in the shop (not enough room). I made good use of the rain and caught up on sleep though. My 4am wake-up doesn't stop because I take off. Sonya woke at 10:30 and I kidded her it was already lunch time for me. Those little tornadoes (grandchildren) take it out of you and she'd had them all day. A good days work would put the boat ready again. Yeah, Norm I call on everyone I think can help!!! To add insult to injury, the deer flies are bad and I'm itching to death. And yes Wayne, on one of those recent anniversaries I asked Sonya where did all that time GO???
Riley

FortyFour

These pieces have a feel as if written by Walker Percy. But as far as I know he was not a sea-faring person