Repairs Proceeding on the Luger Southwind 21

Started by Spot, May 26, 2023, 10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spot

Finally got some gumption, a weather window, and a sailing event that I can just-in-time the repairs to the framing in the Luger. Today is crunch day, the 4 floors need to go in with epoxy and 3 layers 1708DBM and start curing to be roadworthy in a week. I also will need to rehang the keel and check the lifting mechanism pivot and cable.

You cannot view this attachment.
Big dreams, small boats...

Spot

Floors are in, marking the halfway point. A few hours of cure on the foam then it is time to glass them in.
(edit: after trimming foam and adding fillets)

Norm L.

1.    You look organized

2.    I'm glad I am past doing fiberglass work.

3.    I was at the dentist Thursday getting a crown reglued and the dentist, who has boating experience, and I discussed the pros and cons of using 5400 for dental work.

Spot

Thanks Norm. Those dentists do have a nice array of tools and adhesives at their disposal.
I went to peel the tape and between the foam and the slow curing epoxy it was a bit of a mess.
The foam did not seem to like the low humidity either. I redid some of it and added filler in the saw kerfs. On another forum it was suggested to add filler then bend to install. I will try that next time.

I had a new wasp nest in the boat, about 18 inches away from where I sit while working on one side of the boat. I have been looking every time I climb in the cabin do so this one might be fresh from today. I cleared it without dispatching its founder and sprayed my dish soap/peppermint oil repellant. It came back looking furiously for its work, chasing me out. Does grinding on old polystyrene resin or using new resin attract them? It's close quarters for swatting or spraying and they have speed on their side in the warm part of the day.

Spot

I was going to post an update with picture but am getting an error:

spot_s21_28may2023_1.jpg There was a problem during the uploading of spot_s21_28may2023_1.jpg.
The upload directory is full. Please contact an administrator about this problem. 100.8 KB

Long story short: kerfs are filled, all is sanded and vacuumed, 2 floors are glassed, and I may try a two for one tomorrow. I would be trying a frosting bag to 'pipe' the fillet material (just had barely enough fumed silica for the 4 floors). The recipe is by volume: about 1 part mixed resin to 2 parts glass spheres to 1 part fumed silica (found it in an old MAS epoxy video on YouTube). I would also try wetting out and laying up both floors at the same time. Seems like I have the open time with this new epoxy and it would save trips up and down the ladder and get me out of the boat sooner for the holiday.

Spot