Soldering advice needed

Started by Timm R Oday25, May 18, 2023, 02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timm R Oday25

I've got a new coax cable run through the mast as well as an 16 gauge 6 wire tinned wire. It was easy to solder the coax connector and the 6 wire connector in the garage . Any tips on soldering the other end outside ?
Thanks

sesmith

JessicaDaniels

Prepare the ends of the wires: Strip the desired section of wire using a wire stripper or other stripping tool. Make sure that the wires are ready for connection and are not damaged or broken.
Use the proper connectors: Choose the appropriate connectors for the coaxial cable and 6-wire connection. Pay attention to the type and size of connectors so that they meet your requirements.
Follow the instructions: Check the instructions and recommendations provided by the connector manufacturer. They may offer specific instructions for soldering or wiring.
Soldering correctly: Apply proper soldering techniques, using solder and a soldering station or soldering iron. Make sure that the wires and connectors are securely connected and that there are no loose connections.
Protect the connections: After soldering is complete, it is recommended that you use heat shrink tubing or other means to protect the connections from moisture, corrosion and mechanical damage.
Check the connections: Check the functionality and reliability of the connections by making sure that signals are transmitted properly and that there are no problems with the wires or connectors.

Riley Smith

And add some dielectric grease somewhere in all that process. Nope, can't help you on the soldering wires. I'm an absolute failure at THAT.
Riley

Spot

I soldered a fan back together day before yesterday in the garage. I will need to so some on the boat soon.

Use an electronics grade solder and if you have access to a flux pen or extra no clean solder flux that can help, a very small drop per connection gives better flow. Make sure to account for which parts need to slide on the cable first and their direction/orientation. I would work on top of a scrap piece of plywood and make sure the iron cannot get loose and mar the boat. A clean, maintained, well-tinned tip really makes a difference too. When it's fiddly and I am out of hands, I tin the wires before assembly, assemble, flux, and blob some solder on the iron and heat it all until the joint flows.

Big dreams, small boats...