P165 owners, head sail out for repairs. How will my 165 respond under main only?

Started by eaglecreeksailor22, May 28, 2023, 07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBthal

The P-165 sails well under main or reefed main only. You can enjoy sailing the boat until you get the headsail back.

Dan
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Brian N.

The P165 sails very well with the main alone. Sometimes I'm too lazy to set up the jib and I sail just using the main. I'll take down the jib first and then reef the main when necessary. Fairly well balanced with the one sail. It might take a bit more speed to tack, but nothing significant. 
Fair winds
Brian N.

Shesaidno

Rich, as Dan mentions, the P165 sails decently with just the main, but your speed will be reduced. I suggest bearing off a bit to keep your speed up as much as possible.

Quantico Frank

I sailed all afternoon today on main alone and enjoyed it. I had to due to high winds (for me), 12 gusting to 17kts. To me the boat seems just as balanced on main alone as it does on two sails.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

Straander

If the wind is on the light end, your upwind pointing ability will really suffer in my experience. Heavier winds, the boat will sail fine.

Had to spend a whole day sailing on main alone once when the jib halyard block fell off the mast right near the start. That was a surprise.
Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington

tjspiel

Quote from: Straander on May 30, 2023, 02:13 PMIf the wind is on the light end, your upwind pointing ability will really suffer in my experience. Heavier winds, the boat will sail fine.

Had to spend a whole day sailing on main alone once when the jib halyard block fell off the mast right near the start. That was a surprise.

The stock jib halyard block on my P-18 was awful and there was no way to remove it other than cutting it off. I didn't realize that waiting for it to fall off on its own was an option. :)

Straander

This was actually the jib halyard block I put on to replace the stock one when its sheaves completely wore out. I did have to cut it off haha.

No local boat supply stores had hardly any selection of shackles with lock ring pin securing, so I had to use one with a screw-in pin. Despite tightening it as much as I could, it still worked loose until the pin fell out. I was lucky it didnt happen while raising the mast or some damage could have resulted. Its a real bummer I cant find any place with a decent selection of shackles anymore.

Quote from: tjspiel on May 30, 2023, 04:17 PM
Quote from: Straander on May 30, 2023, 02:13 PMIf the wind is on the light end, your upwind pointing ability will really suffer in my experience. Heavier winds, the boat will sail fine.

The stock jib halyard block on my P-18 was awful and there was no way to remove it other than cutting it off. I didn't realize that waiting for it to fall off on its own was an option. :)
Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington

talbot

Good to know about the 165. On the P21, the performance under main alone is just awful. If the wind is so strong that the jib is furled, speed drops to a crawl, even as the boat heels and splashes. Makes for a long day. I will double reef the main, raise the board, hike out, flog the sail-- do anything that will let me keep at least a scrap of jib unfurled and my speed above 3kt.
Talbot Bielefeldt
Precision 21 "Starlight"
Fern Ridge Lake, Oregon