A coupe of firsts of the season

Started by Tom G P 21, May 29, 2023, 09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom G P 21

Launched last week and finally was able to get out for my first sail yesterday, Sunday. The wind was just right to be able to sail along the south coast of Cape Ann on a single tack, this rarely happens. The other first of the season was my first HOB drill (hat over board). After casting off the mooring and going aft my hat blew off. I was able to successfully retrieve it under sail alone. I am sure there will be others during the summer. Fortunately I had my old hat aboard so I could wear that instead of the wet one.

DBthal

HOB drill.....  :)

Yes - I get plenty of practice with that too!

Glad you had a good day out.

Dan
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Brian N.

I took a "Learn to Sail" course many years ago through a community college (even though I had some experience). Everyone had a chance at retrieving their own hat while we rotated various "positions" such a spotter or helm. When I was a sailing Merit Badge counselor for the Scouts, I included the same drill. Just remember to use a piece of duct tape and foam to keep the hat afloat! If you want to make the drill even more interesting, include a $5 bill inside the hat  ;D
Fair winds
Brian N.

Riggerdood

Glad you had a great sail Tom!

While I don't get much HOB practice (my Tilley has a chin lanyard), I do get a lot of practice pulling floating trash out of the water ...  :-\
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand