News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Memorial Day

Started by Norm L., May 29, 2023, 04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm L.

Take a moment today to think of the service men and women, and their families and the last 110 years of war.

Having spent the last 65 years making a living on or related to the water a thought "Yonder is the great and wide sea with living things too many to number, creatures both small and great" I'm not sure where man fits.

And Longfellow's "footprints in the sands of time"

Captain Kidd

Norm,

Thanks for posting on Memorial Day. I know we have patriots on the forum and I think of myself as one of them. For many years I've had a great appreciation for those who "gave some" and especially for those who "gave all". I'm not a vet but my late dad was and my brother is, among other family members. My wife's uncle died in the service, not in battle but in an explosion on base (still serving his country).

War is a horrible thing. As long as there is evil in the world, sadly it will remain.

I didn't recognize your quote, but a quick search revealed it is from Psalm 104. As an amateur sailor, I take note of scriptures that deal with the sea and sailing. I'll refrain from sermonizing on where man fits in, but it's certainly a weighty point to ponder.

Longfellow's poem, though I was not familiar with it til looking, is full of Biblical allusions. Very interesting and thought provoking.

Blessings!