News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Side guards

Started by Scooter, Sep 10, 2023, 04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooter

Just wondering if I should finish re-assembling my P-19 trailer or leave off the 'wings'. The one I have from 1985 has these huge steel outrigger things:

You cannot view this attachment.

But most modern trailers do without. I see a lot with pvc pipe uprights as a guide so I suppose that's a benefit but for some reason I don't really want to put them back.

You cannot view this attachment.

No idea why. So what do you think, expensive addition that I should be glad to have or big ugly heavy unneeded accessory?

Thanks!

pgandw

I would like to add something to my sailboat trailer to aid in centering.  The bunks, and the fenders that are outside of the hull, get me most of the way, but I can still be about 6" off center. The fenders, which have steps on both ends, are extremely useful for climbing into/on to and off the boat.  Your trailer looks like it might auto-center the boat without the outside wings.

Of course, a lot depends on how often you use the trailer to launch and recover your boat.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19 #4133  Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC

Scooter

Quote from: pgandw on Sep 10, 2023, 05:52 PMOf course, a lot depends on how often you use the trailer to launch and recover your boat.

So far not ever, hopefully often soon. : )

Bruce Mason

Side bunks, especially the two-legged ones like shown here, are much better at centering the boat. Goal posts flex readily, and are useful visually, but the bunks are sturdy enough to pivot off.

I'm guessing the slot at the back of the trailer was too far back to get the trailer centered while loading, thus the bunks.

Most side bunks can be adjusted for width at the mounts to the trailer beams. In the one pictured, you could shim the bunks closer to the hull at the top. You only need minimal clearance at max beam.
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Noemi - Ensenada 20

I would put them back on.  Goal posts work....until the side winds are too strong.

Scooter

My question, had I thought it out better, should have been something like "Are side bunks useful" and the answer appears to be in the affirmative. Good thing I painted all the pieces.