CDCR may be in its death throes, but I'm going anyway!! :) . . . .

Started by Charles Brennan, Sep 26, 2023, 10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles Brennan

I've been getting steadily more worried about the Columbus Day Cruising Regatta in Miami, this year.  Been going since 1977 except twice, when Hurricanes prevented the race altogether.  Hurricane Andrew in 1992, sunk most of the fleet. Hurricane Irma in 2017, trashed everywhere someone was liable to launch a boat and in all honesty, I was recovering from knee surgery and couldn't have gone anyway.
But except for those two whirly-girls, I've been there, sometimes as an exercise in masochism but still and all, there.

The regatta net web site keeps showing all the 2022 info.  Should have been updated in late August, or early September.
Nada.

Sent an email to the chairman of the CDCR committee.
Came back as undeliverable, so I started to panic.
Was the CDCR Regatta finally as dead as the dinosaurs that keep pulling the strings on ever-aging sailboats?  :(
Ok, I got soooooo desperate I actually resorted to Google and started searching for info.
FOUND IT!! :D
Don't recognize any of the names on the committee, so it has clearly been handed off to somebody else, which also explains why my emails were returned as undeliverable.  The names don't sound like those favored by your average Nigerian Prince, so I think I'm going to go for it.

But it is really getting sad, people.
Here is the registrations sheet, to date:
You cannot view this attachment.

I remember when registration was limited to the first 750 boats.
OTOH, I am a SHOE-IN for first in Gunkhole Class!  ;D
I'm the only entry!!   :o

Maybe a mere shadow of the Glory Years, but me and the other 9 guys are going to have us a WHEE! of a time!! :)

I'll keep y'all posted,
Charles Brennan

pgandw

There were 2 races I participated in with my ODay 25 when stationed in Miami in the early '80s - one was a 2 day race to Elliot Key and back, and the other was a classic boat race off Ft Lauderdale which had a Clorox Bottle Division.

The Elliott Key race featured morning delivery of the Miami Herald to all the participating boats by Boston Whaler.

The race off Ft Lauderdale race featured a LeMans start - every skipper had to start from the beach and get to his boat via dinghy, no motor on the dinghies.

Good times.

Fred W

Spot

Big dreams, small boats...

Charles Brennan

Two things since I registered for the Columbus Day Cruising Regatta in Miami, last week.

They announced the prize categories:

And updated the entries:
There's only THREE guys in my class and I'm ONE of them! :)

If I can just make it to the Finish Marker before the Race Committee boat retrieves the marker and leaves for the day (Sadly, this has happened to me more times than I like to think about!)   :'(  I'll get a PRIZE!! :D
Still haven't been assigned a rating handicap, yet.
I'll find out more at the Zoom meeting, on Thursday.

Charles Brennan

Spot

If I were any closer, I'd schlepp on down there and give you a run for your money for third place.

What time is the start? I'll blow a horn up here in your honor, corrected for the speed of sound, so the residual air pressure is available for you at the start line.

:)

PS  2.24 hours for the sound to get there, I hope the start  is not too early.
Big dreams, small boats...