Summer scalloping in Steinhatchee, Fl :) . . . .

Started by Charles Brennan, Feb 08, 2023, 07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles Brennan

Summer scalloping :)  . . . . .

Last Summer I tried my hand for the very first time at Gulf Coast scalloping at Steinhatchee.
My lobster diving skills are useless on the Gulf Coast, so I needed something new to hunt.  :)

My first attempt in June ended in failure:
You cannot view this attachment.
Being ignominiously towed in, after my 25hp EverRude failed for what I decided was going to be the final time in its' storied history.

I replaced it with a Yamaha 25 hp and was amazed at all the improvements in the 30 years or so since I last bought a new motor.
Especially the push button starting.
Hate to say it, but at age 72, that EvinRude's 25 hp starter pull-cord was starting to pull back.

All that took a  few months and I didn't get out to the scalloping grounds into well at the end of Scalloping Season.
But, I hied me out there 2 weeks before close and it looked like this:
Well, on top of the water, anyway.

Underneath the water, it looked like this:
I later discovered that this is not ideal scalloping habitat; too much red algae.

This is a little better, because you can see the scallop shells in contrast to the sand.

OK, maybe I can't find scallops all that good, but I DID manage to find my anchor again; using only my compass and experience.

And an occasional peek at the surface!  ;)

So, how did I do?
Well . . . . . .  turns out I suck at scalloping!  :'(

It DID make a tasty appetizer for my wife when she got home, sauteed in butter and smoked paprika.

When I talked to people back at the ramp, they were surprised I had gotten anything.
Apparently, you scallop the first two weeks of scallop season, or you don't even bother. 

Only about 6 months away!! :D

Charles Brennan

Captain Kidd

Another good report! A little weird pics also showing up as attachments.

Doug SC

Enjoyed the photos! I have been there when the scallops were everywhere. Look forward to seeing you when your timing is better. Thanks for taking us along.