1966(?) Mirror Dinghy - The Resurrection

Started by SantaCruzin, Jun 08, 2023, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SantaCruzin

Well, I am still midway through the refurbishment of my 1968 WWP14, but I came across an opportunity I just couldn't pass up. There was an ad which popped up locally for a 1960's Mirror Dingy. I knew nothing of the boat, but the story was intriguing...the seller's father had built the boat from a kit, with a number of improvements, in the 1960s in Scotland. They brought it with them to Massachusetts in the 70s, where the builder and his son sailed Cape Cod.

When his father retired, the son shipped it out to the West Coast where he was living at the time, but it sat dormant for the better part of 25 years. We are now the proud stewards of "Queen Mab" and will be taking on a slight restoration of her. She doesn't need much as she was clearly well cared for, but 25 years is 25 years. I can't wait to teach my kids to sail aboard her.

Her hull/sail number is 5914 and they are well into the 70,000's at this point I believe.

I have a number of photos to upload from the 60's/70's, but it looks like the forum directory is full.
1968 West Wight Potter 14 #222
1966(?) Mirror Dinghy #5914

Timm R Oday25

Like most here...pictures ..pictures pictures .. it's great to have a story ..

SantaCruzin

I know! I tried, but it looks like we still can't upload photos. It's saying the Forum directory is full

SantaCruzin

It looks like photos are back to working! Here are the historical photos the gentleman sent me of the boat. The last photo is a cool trailering solution the original builder had come up with. It housed the mast, oars, boom, and yard and also served to hold the boat down onto the trailer. He tried to sell it back to the manufacturer without luck.

I've almost finished the last of the stuff I wanted to do before getting her in the water. It needs some new varnish on the deck, but I'll likely hold off on that until the winter. I don't think it's severe enough that it needs to be done before being used. The last photo shows how it looks after sanding, primer, sanding, primer, sanding, topside paint, sanding, and topside paint :)

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.