How much water does a P15K require to launch. Does an extension make sense.

Started by Tollerowner, Jun 05, 2023, 11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tollerowner

I have a P15K that I have always launched at a marina a half mile away.  They put it in for $25.
There is a new owner who won't put sailboats in unless I pay $1,000 to store it there.  They say it is too dangerous because of the mast, even though I explained that I step the mast when I get it home.

The next nearest launch is about 4 miles to the south.  The problem is that their water doesn't get very deep (and we are in the middle of drought so it is unusually shallow)  How much water do I need for it?  The boat draws 21" and I presume it needs another 15" or so for the trailer.

A friend suggested an extension... put the boat on the ramp, move the car forward and add the extension.  The added reach should give me enough water depth.  Does that make sense?  Would a 2x4 work?

Last option is to use a launch 7 miles to the north.  Our wind is always from the south, so trying to get home on wind is a problem, and my two trolling motor batteries won't last 7 miles.  So that is pretty much out.

My friend has a friend who puts in at the south launch using a tractor.  He is going to see if he can borrow it.  That would be a good solution, but I am not optimistic.

Brian N.

The P165 draft is about 22 inches so I'll guess your P15 is the fixed keel version. Shallow ramps and low water are a problem. I wrote an article for SCA about a modified rope launch as a solution. I'll see if I can dig it up. Various extensions have also been used with success. To answer your question is difficult because a lot depends upon how steep the ramp is. However, in general I float the boat on/off the trailer and this happens when the front of the bunks are mostly submerged.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Tollerowner

yes, I would think the 165 and the 15K are comparable.  i will look forward to seeing your article.

Brian N.

Tried to post the article as an attachment, but the website will not accept the pictures. Send me a PM with your email and I'll get to it later in the week.

The long and short of the article is to attach a forward facing winch to the trailer. Hook the strap to your hitch, detach the trailer from the hitch ball (use the wheel jack). Make sure the winch pawl is locked! Then grab the handle and slowly let the trailer and boat roll down the ramp. Float the boat off, switch the pawl and recover the trailer. I've done this a hundred times, usually by myself. Recovery is simple too.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Tollerowner

Replying to my own post... Bill at Precision says I need 33" to launch, and 21" to recover.  I presume that is based on using the winch to pull it up on the trailer?

Anyhow, I have a tilt trailer.  He says that doesn't affect the needed water depth.  Then what is the purpose of a tilt trailer?  I assumed it was for shallow water.  If not that, then what?

tjspiel

Quote from: Tollerowner on Jun 14, 2023, 11:52 AMReplying to my own post... Bill at Precision says I need 33" to launch, and 21" to recover.  I presume that is based on using the winch to pull it up on the trailer?

Anyhow, I have a tilt trailer.  He says that doesn't affect the needed water depth.  Then what is the purpose of a tilt trailer?  I assumed it was for shallow water.  If not that, then what?

It's a good question. Somebody on this forum (Straander?) has said that they've had success using the tilt trailer to recover their boat but I can't remember the details.

I've personally never tried it but I've watched YouTube videos. Where tilt trailers seem most useful is where you've got some sort of deep drop off. The boat is in deep water and the trailer is in shallower water (or even on the edge of the shore).

The only boats I've seen in the videos are boats without keels and I don't know that my keel could make up onto the front roller with a trailer tilted.

It's possible that Precision chose trailers than were already on the market and could be adjusted to fit their boats. The ability to tilt wasn't a feature that Precision cared about.

DBthal

QuotePosted by Tollerowner  - Today at 11:52 AM
Replying to my own post... Bill at Precision says I need 33" to launch, and 21" to recover.

Did Bill say where the 33" depth should be?  At the boat stern?  The end of the trailer? At the wheels?  It may make a difference whether the tilt trailer would help or not.
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Quantico Frank

Quote from: Brian N. on Jun 06, 2023, 05:57 PMAttach a forward facing winch to the trailer. Hook the strap to your hitch, detach the trailer from the hitch ball (use the wheel jack). Make sure the winch pawl is locked! Then grab the handle and slowly let the trailer and boat roll down the ramp. Float the boat off, switch the pawl and recover the trailer. I've done this a hundred times, usually by myself. Recovery is simple too.

My trailer is set up the same way that Brian's is. A little weird, but it works. I've tried other things like extended tow bars, but nothing else has been as effective.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

Brian N.

Never really measured the depth needed. Generally, once the front of the side bunks are mostly submerged, the boat will float off easily. Depending upon the tide and ramp , I may roll the boat down till nearly the end of the winch strap.
Fair winds
Brian N.

eaglecreeksailor22

I have a P165 and late in the season I needed about 3-4 foot extension. Since my boat on trailer with a 3.5 Tohatsu has very little tongue weight I made a 4 ft tongue extension from a piece of 2"X2" square tubing. Cut to length drill one hole for hitch pin and one for the trailer ball and your all set.

eaglecreeksailor22

correction, I made a hitch extension not a tongue extension. Sorry.