News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Precision 18 Rub Rail

Started by 3pinr, Jun 12, 2023, 10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3pinr

Has anyone taken the rub rail off? I took mine off to seal up the seam and now I can't get it back on. It has shrunk about 1 foot per side. Even the back piece shrunk a few inches. Any help would be appreciated.

tjspiel

Quote from: 3pinr on Jun 12, 2023, 10:36 AMHas anyone taken the rub rail off? I took mine off to seal up the seam and now I can't get it back on. It has shrunk about 1 foot per side. Even the back piece shrunk a few inches. Any help would be appreciated.

I had the same experience. You need to get the rub rail really warm and even then it took two people and it was a real struggle. One person pulling as hard as they could while the other pushed it into place.

Stick the rub rail out in the sun on a hot day. If you can position your boat so that it's in the sun too that will help.

It will look deformed around the bow but over time it smoothed out.

3pinr

I guess it's not getting in the water this weekend.

Macsp21

Replaced my rub rail with new from precision The old material would not streach enough had some damage to it.while rub rail material was off i cleaned and resealed hull seam  new material responded to heat of the sun streached nicely.my p21 was 17 y o when i replaced it cost about 300 dollars

P18allure

I agree. Temperature and sun can really help as well as a person to pull. I placed small clamps along the way and used a heat gun or hair blower to warm up the rubber for the bow and transom corners.