News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Trailer Rust

Started by Shesaidno, Jun 12, 2023, 12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shesaidno

Although I wash my boat and trailer with fresh water after I sail, my trailer has accumulated a fair amount of rust from ocean water. Any suggestions for getting rid of it? Appreciate your ideas in advance!

Dave Scobie

Remove as much rust as you can. Encapsulate rust with a primer and paint.  Every six months touch up the trailer as new rust appears.

See - https://m17-375.com/2009/05/23/trailer-renovation-rust-to-shine/

DBthal

Dave described the correct way to maintain a very rusty trailer.

If you just have some spot rust, I've had good results with Rustoleum Rust Reformer.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/rust-reformer

It is a metal primer that chemically converts the rust into an inert layer. You would then need to top coat with paint. There are silver/gray metal paints that wouldn't look too dissimilar from your galvanized trailer.

Available at all the big box DIY stores.

Dan
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Shesaidno

Thank you both!  I'll give both those tips a try!!!

Quantico Frank

Quote from: Shesaidno on Jun 12, 2023, 12:53 AMAlthough I wash my boat and trailer with fresh water after I sail, my trailer has accumulated a fair amount of rust from ocean water. Any suggestions for getting rid of it? Appreciate your ideas in advance!

I have this problem too— particularly on the springs. How big a pain is it to take them apart, paint, then reassemble them?
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

Dave Scobie

Quote from: Quantico Frank on Jun 13, 2023, 06:11 AM...the springs. How big a pain is it to take them apart, paint, then reassemble them?
Buy new springs if they look compromised, otherwise just leave them be.

Brian N.

After 15 years of launch/ retrieve in salt water, my trailer is starting to show some rusty bolts, and brackets The frame is fine. The wooden bunks look okay from what I can see. What I find odd is some bolts and brackets look just fine, which leads me to believe that the quality control for the steel brackets and bolts was not that great. I always give the trailer a good long washdown. My plan is to float the boat off early one morning and replace the bolts and brackets. Hopefully they will not be too much of a pain to remove and replace. The springs look in good shape.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Macsp21

Leaf springs i have always slathered them with grease