Trailer for WWP 14

Started by SantaCruzin, Jun 05, 2023, 03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SantaCruzin

Howdy all!

Sorry I'm more in the "ask questions" than "provide answers" stage of my ownership...but I'll get there!

I'm curious if anyone has any insights as to what to look for in a new trailer for my WWP 14. The trailer I have is fantastic, but it's also painted and thus truly does not enjoy being dunked in salt water. I'd like to restore it to it's original glory, but until then I'm hoping to track down a basic galvanized trailer which won't mind the saltwater.

I see some pop up used, and I've also seen these new ones for a seemingly reasonable price. At face value, the specs seem to work (under 800 lbs and up to 14' in length). https://www.etrailer.com/Trailers/CE-Smith/CE48870.html

Anyone have trailers they'd recommend? Or the specs to look for (width, length, etc.)
1968 West Wight Potter 14 #222
1966(?) Mirror Dinghy #5914

Curtis

On the trailer in the link, it looks like the boat would be pretty high above ground and difficult to launch, but maybe the pictures are deceiving. A Potter with supplies, battery, etc could easily approach or exceed the 800 lb capacity listed for the trailer.
If you can afford it, I suggest buying a new galvanized trailer as the trailer is more work than the Potter. My P-15 is on an EZ Loader trailer that has the oil filled hubs. I am happy with it although at almost 12 years old it is starting to show a lot of rust, but the main frame looks good.

SantaCruzin

Thank you so much for the reply, Curtis! Do you know which model EZ Loader you have?

Curtis

EZB 12-14 1225 with a capacity of 1,225 lbs. It has 480-12B tires on it. I bought my P-15 & trailer new in the summer of 2011; I've had to replace small hardware and lights but still have the original hubs and wiring.

SantaCruzin

Would anyone be willing to provide some measurements on their trailer which works well for them on their P14/15?

I found an EZB 12-14 1000 but apparently it is narrower (by 9") than the 12-14 1250 and I can't tell if it will work. My trailer is 48" between the fenders, but the boat rests above the fenders, not between them. I can't tell if that's always the case?

I found another trailer which is the right width, but it seems like it might be a bit short. It's 13'9" overall length, compared to mine which I believe is closer to 16'. I also can't tell if the capacity will be sufficient.