Storing a P15K in a regular boat hoist?

Started by Tollerowner, Jun 05, 2023, 04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tollerowner

Following up on my question earlier today...
Both of my neighbors have covered boat hoists that they keep their motorboats in during the summer and then put them in storage.
Would the P15k be safe in one of those?  (I don't know if they would let me, but if it doesn't work, there is no point to asking)

My final option is to take the mast down and leave it moored all winter.  I have lived here 12 years and there was significant ice twice. (a neighbor who has lived here 40 years says it was the first time she has seen it, but I don't know how true that is)  The last few years have been very mild.  I understand that ice will will likely destroy it, but it cost me $2,000 6 years ago so its not like I am risking an expensive boat,  and I am running out of options.  Obviously there will snow from time to time, but I haven't been able to XCSki for several years because there hasn't been enough snow, so I don't think that will be a serious problem.
Is there anything I am simply not understanding?

tjspiel

You mean for the winter? I think Gary-S keeps his P-21 on one in during the Summer but I'm not sure how he has it set up to account for the stub keel.

The problem you may run into in borrowing one of your neighbors is that it wouldn't support your boat properly without modification.

The park board here pulls the floating docks out into the lakes and attaches them to moorings for the winter. There is most certainly ice. :)

The docks seem to survive just fine but they are made of a pretty tough plastic.

I've seen ice destroy non-floating docks left in the water for the winter though.

Brian N.

And what happens if the winter turns out to be unusually cold and ice forms? I would not be willing to lose a boat (even one at a bargain price). If keeping the boat out of the water on a lift is an option, then why not go that route? And, if you keep it on a mooring and it is damaged and sinks, who is responsible for salvage costs?
Fair winds
Brian N.