Must be a "conspiracy"

Started by Brian N., Jun 10, 2023, 09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian N.

OK - not really, but I've been frustrated trying getting the boat out. Poor timing for high tide (6am or midnight for example) too windy 20-30 knots, dangerous air quality due to wild fires (over 400 on AQI), ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms) closing my usual launch area for "training", and home projects. Today, I'll finish waxing the hull, and dream about getting out next week.

BTW - anyone else having difficulty attaching pictures?
Fair winds
Brian N.

DBthal

Brian,

You aren't alone. 

I prepped my powerboat first so I could put on my mooring ball & pendant for the season.  Then my daughter had a week long OUS destination event. Last week I had my annual fly fishing trip to Rangeley, Maine (fun!).  And then my fly fishing buddy came down with covid. I've been in quarantine in the guest room of our house. I continue to test negative.

As you mentioned, weather has been bad so I've only been able to do intermittent work on the P-165. While working on the boat I found that the trailer tires I replaced two years ago have multiple cracks in the sidewalls.  Probably 30 miles on those tires.

Enough whining, but I do look forward to splashing the boat.

Dan
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

tjspiel

Geez, bad luck Brian and Dave!

If it's any consolation, it's still Spring and Summer hasn't even started yet. I'm sure you'll both get out there soon.

Weather here has been nice for sailing but bone dry which doesn't bode well for lake levels down the road.

Macsp21

Colder than usual, small craft advisories ,canada and pine barrens on fire, covering the bay wirh a thick fog that smells bad.. i have gotten out 5 times so far this year all good sails, but fewer trips than last year

Quantico Frank

One thing after another, Brian. I was able to splash it the first time in the Potomac in early May. But in the process of of pulling it out to splash it again in Norfolk a week and a half ago I've dealt with the following:

* messed up bunks, which I thought I'd fixed based on Dan's recommendation from a year ago but apparently LEFT A BOLT OUT of in the process of "fixing"

* dead battery— AGAIN— which at this point is pretty much how I roll

* blown trailer light

* buying/selling/exchanging trailer wheel hubs until I got the right ones

* strap which holds the boat to the trailer which started out being tight coming loose at about mile 177 of the 180 mile trip to Norfolk and sparking down I-64 until a good samaritan made enough hand signals to let me know I had a problem

None of this will make you feel any better, but at least you shouldn't feel alone.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

DBthal

QuotePosted by Quantico Frank  - Today at 07:37 AM

Frank,

Do you have a battery "on/off" switch on your boat?

Dan
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Brian N.

Frank - I thought your batteries were fairly new. Perhaps they are not charging correctly???? Also, How far down are you draining the batteries? Too far down and they never really recover.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Shesaidno

Brian,

I haven't been able to post any photos either. I believe Tim was contacting the administrator about it???

Riggerdood

I think each user might have to contact an admin separately. Just send CapnK a PM.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

eaglecreeksailor22

I launched mid April, between the Tohatsu beast acting up a couple times and the head sail separating where the UV protection is sewn on and a few days of no wind or 20+ it has been a challenge. This being my first year back inyo sailing after a 10 yr hiatus I was expecting much better results. I am not a real patient person, I want to sail.

Quantico Frank

Quote from: DBthal on Jun 11, 2023, 08:01 AM
QuotePosted by Quantico Frank  - Today at 07:37 AM

Frank,

Do you have a battery "on/off" switch on your boat?

Dan

Dan, I do, and I normally leave things shut off after a sail, as I did the last time before I came back and found it dead. I think this battery just crapped out early for some reason.🤷

talbot

Are you on a solar charger? I killed a battery once with one of the connectors with the male/female plugs side by side. But the polarity was opposite what I thought it was. The battery was getting nada from the panel. Only when the cabin lights went dim did I put a multimeter on the circuit.
Talbot Bielefeldt
Precision 21 "Starlight"
Fern Ridge Lake, Oregon

Quantico Frank

Quote from: talbot on Jun 13, 2023, 12:57 AMAre you on a solar charger? I killed a battery once with one of the connectors with the male/female plugs side by side. But the polarity was opposite what I thought it was. The battery was getting nada from the panel. Only when the cabin lights went dim did I put a multimeter on the circuit.

Interesting. I suspect that's not the case here because it was working great before the battery died, and it's been working great since I replaced that "dual purpose" lead acid battery with the Li battery that you have, Talbot. A thought did occur to me, however— the little WM store in my town sold me that DP battery, possibly because that was the only G24 battery they had in stock that day rather than a deep cycle G24 battery which was what I really needed. Is it possible that that battery died early because it wasn't deep cycle?

JimInVA

Howdy All,
I finally resolved my 19 month "conspiracy". Last week, with the help of one of my sons, my wife and two strong dudes from the boatyard (to raise the mast), I got my P23 (1988) in the water.
She's been on the trailer since November of 2021. Last summer I got an upgrade at work which put me in training for a month out of town. There was training prep prior to that and when I returned in July, I couldn't find anyone local to repair her bottom which had blisters and a "slightly" leaky thru hull where the knot meter spinner had been. When I did find a guy who could "get to it sometime next week", I got it to him hoping I might get in a short season of September/October. I got her back in January  >:(. I should have used the folks up in Maryland that Frank from Quantico recommended, but towing over the old Harry Nice bridge (two lanes, very rickety) seemed a bit dicey.
As spring came along, I did a lot of cleaning, buffing and waxing, washed her sails and tried to find time to get her down to Colonial Beach. Lots of schedule conflicts delayed me until July 7.
She's in the water now and despite it being ridiculously hot to get her rigged and ready, my wife and I got her out for a short sail last Saturday.
Victory!
Well, maybe just a start anyway. She's not taking on any water so it appears the bottom fix is good. Good thing since now my electrics are intermittent. I'll be chipping away at fixes throughout the summer and fall. I'll probably be asking all kinds of questions on here now as I work through my list.
It is great to have this board to lurk on and learn from.
Happy to be sailing again!
Jim

tjspiel

Congrats on getting her in the water Jim. Plenty of sailing season left !