Must be a "conspiracy"

Started by Brian N., Jun 10, 2023, 09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quantico Frank

Hey, Jim, great to hear! I know you're a happy man at this point! Ask all the questions you want, for sure, and also consider the trailer sailor happy hour every other Friday that Riggerdood sets up.

Frank
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

JimInVA

Yep. Happy as a clam (not sure how they can tell those guys are happy)! Want to try to get out again this afternoon. Might be hot, but no wind this morning. Supposed to pick up around four. My son might be available at that time as well.
Need to get down there anyway to make sure I have all my dock lines set up right and install my previously tangled boom vang.
Definitely want to check in with you guys some Friday for the Happy Hour.
Jim

Brian N.

Jim - Yeah when everything falls into place its great, but rare. Today I have the "honor" of my wife joining me. Predicted winds are light, but we'll see how that plays out.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Quantico Frank

By my Windy app, it's supposed to be good but gusty tomorrow afternoon for the first time in a couple weeks!

tjspiel

Quote from: Brian N. on Jul 20, 2023, 10:07 AMJim - Yeah when everything falls into place its great, but rare. Today I have the "honor" of my wife joining me. Predicted winds are light, but we'll see how that plays out.

Hope it was a good day Brian. My wife gets out with me about twice a year. She's already met her quota for this season so I'm looking forward to next year. :)

Brian N.

Report from Today: Great sail! The wind was in the sweet spot, 8-12 knots, mostly from the east, clocking around a little to NE. Sailed with the wind just forward of the beam for a great ride, going and returning.  Wife helped set up and break down which made things go fairly fast at the ramp. Of course, one moment of panic returning to the dock when the engine sputtered out after running for 20 seconds or so. My wife quickly pointed out the gas was in the off position! So I guess for this sail everything did fall into place.
Fair winds
Brian N.

tjspiel

Quote from: Brian N. on Jul 20, 2023, 06:11 PMReport from Today: Great sail! The wind was in the sweet spot, 8-12 knots, mostly from the east, clocking around a little to NE. Sailed with the wind just forward of the beam for a great ride, going and returning.  Wife helped set up and break down which made things go fairly fast at the ramp. Of course, one moment of panic returning to the dock when the engine sputtered out after running for 20 seconds or so. My wife quickly pointed out the gas was in the off position! So I guess for this sail everything did fall into place.

Sounds like you both enjoyed a great day together. Can't ask for much more than that. :)

Riggerdood

Good for you two Brian! Now, who would ever make the mistake of leaving the fuel valve off?!?!

Hmmmm ... <sheepish grin> ... (I did once!)
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Quantico Frank

Great to hear you're getting into full swing now, Brian! And having the First Officer join you is a huge plus! Here in our neck of the Potomac, we're in the July doldrums again with scant opportunities for sailing; however, today still looks like a rare winner, and I am going to take advantage of it!

Brian N.

Go for it Frank! So many days this summer of rain or no wind we need to take advantage of the good ones when they come up. I was very glad to have my wife aboard. Not only did she help set up the boat, but we had some nice quality time together just talking. It was a change from sailing alone with just music, As I mentioned in another thread, in the last couple of years I've sailed with crew, fairly often. The best is when either of my sons sail with me, they do most of the setup and work  ;)
Fair winds
Brian N.

JimInVA

Hey Brian, Looks like you got my wind  ;D . My youngest son and I got out at about 5 and it was mostly just glass. Windy said it was going to pick up soon so we hung out for an hour and a half before we decided to motor back in. Robby is completely new to sailing so he still had fun. I put him on the helm for the trip in and out of the channel while I arranged lines or uncovered and then later covered sails etc.
He now knows my docking procedures (still a work in progress with the new slip) and how to start and run the outboard. I have modified your and the Dood's fuel management procedure. My trick is to yank on the start cord a few times before realizing that I haven't pumped up the primer bulb yet. Feel free to incorporate it into your repertoire!
I also showed him the BoatUS app on my phone so he could call for a tow in case I go belly up or overboard. Many more things for him and me to learn, so it was still a useful and fun trip even without wind.
Jim

tjspiel

Quote from: JimInVA on Jul 21, 2023, 11:28 AMHey Brian, Looks like you got my wind  ;D . My youngest son and I got out at about 5 and it was mostly just glass. Windy said it was going to pick up soon so we hung out for an hour and a half before we decided to motor back in. Robby is completely new to sailing so he still had fun. I put him on the helm for the trip in and out of the channel while I arranged lines or uncovered and then later covered sails etc.
He now knows my docking procedures (still a work in progress with the new slip) and how to start and run the outboard. I have modified your and the Dood's fuel management procedure. My trick is to yank on the start cord a few times before realizing that I haven't pumped up the primer bulb yet. Feel free to incorporate it into your repertoire!
I also showed him the BoatUS app on my phone so he could call for a tow in case I go belly up or overboard. Many more things for him and me to learn, so it was still a useful and fun trip even without wind.
Jim

Don't have a gas outboard on my boat but cursing seemed to be a regular part of my repertoire when trying to start a stubborn one. Didn't seem to get it to start any faster.

Always plenty to learn and enjoy whether the sails ever go up or not. :)