Finally in for the Season

Started by DBthal, Jun 22, 2023, 04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBthal

This was the longest, most convoluted start to the boating season I've ever had. Commitments, boat projects, and weather all added up to a very late splash. Boat went in this past Tuesday and first sail today. Any pretense I had about having my rigging & launching process streamlined got a reality check.

You cannot view this attachment.

Since I launch and retrieve once a year (stay on my mooring) I forget 50% of what I learn.

Today's sail was beautiful. It was a little breezy (10-15 knots) for my first sail of the season, so I reefed the main right from the start.

It felt good to get out sailing and hope for a good season.

Dan
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Brian N.

Dan I trailer from home each sail, so it involves raising the mast each time and you would think I have it down after 15 years, but not really. Always seems to be a wrap, tangle or something forgotten.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Quantico Frank

Congratulations, Dan! I can't seem to de-dramatize the trailering, launching and recovering process no matter how hard I try, although I work with lots of checklists I've built and refined over the years which I keep handy on my Apple watch. The latest one I've added is to re-check the tightness of the strap that holds the boat on the trailer 20-50 miles into the trip as well as zip tie the hooks to the loops on the trailer with these things: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072WC1MXT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

tjspiel

Quote from: Quantico Frank on Jun 23, 2023, 06:20 AMI can't seem to de-dramatize the trailering, launching and recovering process no matter how hard I try

That made me smile.

Even though I launch and retrieve my boat every 3 to 4 weeks to clean it, it is a process.

Most of the time it's pretty uneventful, but there's always at least of touch of apprehension while driving down to the lake and a sense of relief when the boat slides off the trailer and back into its home in the water.