News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Outboard selection

Started by Captain Kidd, Jul 11, 2023, 09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Kidd

Since this is the most active part of the TSBB, I thought I'd pose my question here. I don't have a Precision (shame on me - ha!), but I figured your opinions and experience would still be valuable.

I sail a Hunter 18.5. If you're not familiar, she has a wing keel and goes 1650 lbs dry. I need a new outboard. Money is an issue. I'm on the verge of selling the boat (for several reasons), but if I can get a motor for a reasonable price, I'll keep her. She had a Yamaha 4hp. That motor got crushed (don't ask me how). Looks like most 4hp motors are going for $1400-1800. A Tohatsu goes for $12 and change from the manufacturer but shipping adds about $250. I stopped at Bass Pro and I can get a Mercury 4hp for just under $1600 taxes incl.

I have found a lightly used 2017 Yamaha 4hp for $1000. I'm guessing it's been sitting and is likely gooped up.

I'm considering a Honda 2.3. Dave Scobie outfitted his Sage 17 with them. They're about 300 lbs lighter than the Hunter. The 2.3 costs about a grand. Air-cooled (I like that). No reverse but I guess I could live with that. I sail almost exclusively on inland lakes in light air.

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

Brian N.

In his book Dave Gerr recommends about 2HP for every thousand pounds. The Honda 2.3 might get you off the dock, but probably not enough to push the boat effectively in other conditions. I would investigate the 4 HP 2017 Yamaha, and start it up. Also call around the local boat yards and see if they have something used or an older model that has not sold. Can you post a "wanted" sign on the bulletin board of any local yacht clubs? Good luck. 
Fair winds
Brian N.

Dave Scobie

Quote from: Captain Kidd on Jul 11, 2023, 09:09 AMI'm considering a Honda 2.3. Dave Scobie outfitted his Sage 17 with them. They're about 300 lbs lighter than the Hunter. The 2.3 costs about a grand. Air-cooled (I like that). No reverse but I guess I could live with that. I sail almost exclusively on inland lakes in light air.

The Honda 2/2.3 will be fine for your use.  Honda 2/2.3 push around M17s no problem, weight similar to your boat, for toodling around in light duty conditions.

Brian N.

Aside from no reverse, the Honda is a great engine. It took a little practice to learn to "feather" the clutch and it pushes my P165 in all conditions. But the P165 is a significantly lighter boat, even loaded. On the other hand, if all you are doing is motoring off a dock or mooring, and considering the Hunter's profile you might be OK. I would still go bigger if possible. BTW, the long shaft is needed.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Bruce Mason

Most OBs in this range don't have a reverse (you spin it 180º), but be aware that the Honda has a centrifugal clutch, no neutral. When you start cold with it throttled up it will be in gear and off you go. Ready or not. Once the motor warms up a bit you can decrease the throttle enough so the clutch is disengaged.

I was dry sailing when I used mine, and since it was air cooled I would start it on the trailer and warm it up for a couple of minutes before I launched without a messing with water for cooling. Once launched, I could start the  still-warm motor with the throttle at idle.

Not hard to get used to, but some really find it annoying.
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Riggerdood

Quote from: Bruce Mason on Jul 11, 2023, 11:30 AMMost OBs in this range don't have a reverse (you spin it 180º), but be aware that the Honda has a centrifugal clutch, no neutral. When you start cold with it throttled up it will be in gear and off you go. Ready or not. Once the motor warms up a bit you can decrease the throttle enough so the clutch is disengaged.

I was dry sailing when I used mine, and since it was air cooled I would start it on the trailer and warm it up for a couple of minutes before I launched without a messing with water for cooling. Once launched, I could start the  still-warm motor with the throttle at idle.

Not hard to get used to, but some really find it annoying.
When properly adjusted, the clutch should not engage at the "Start" throttle setting. Mine doesn't anyway. I do find the H2 to be pretty sensitive to choke position when cold vs. warm.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

eaglecreeksailor22

Suzuki 2.5 LS. It is the lightest outboard that has F & N, still have to spin for reverse. Usually a couple hundred $ less than the others. I also am searching for a smaller outboard, currently have a Tohatsu 3.5LS on a P165 and it weighs 43 lbs, a little to much for good hull balance while single handing. I did see a Honda 2.3 pushing a J 22 at way above no wake speed, I was impressed. I may go the Honda route, no more replacing impellers. I think all of the newer small 4 stroke motors are very sensitive and subject to flooding, each has their own quirks that you must adhere to while starting. I have found 100's of used motors on Face Book market place. Good luck.

Bruce Mason

Quote from: Riggerdood on Jul 11, 2023, 12:19 PMWhen properly adjusted, the clutch should not engage at the "Start" throttle setting. Mine doesn't anyway. I do find the H2 to be pretty sensitive to choke position when cold vs. warm.

My H2 was like that from the day I took delivery from the dealer, and continued after every dealer service since then. It was my daily driver from 2010 to 2014, but I use it only very occasionally now having replaced it with a Lehr 2.5 in 2015, and most recently a Spirit 1.0 in 2019. Hopefully they have addressed the problem, but in the past it was a well-known issue. Worth checking out, especially if you're buying used.
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Captain Kidd

Quote from: eaglecreeksailor22 on Jul 11, 2023, 01:59 PMI did see a Honda 2.3 pushing a J 22 at way above no wake speed, I was impressed. I may go the Honda route, no more replacing impellers.

Sounds good! The J22 actually displaces more than the Hunter. Might be a little more slippery, but still....

Interesting developement: I just got a lead on a new Honda 2.3 for a "used" price. I thinking I'm going to spring for it. Might leave me a little vulnerable if I take the boat to bigger waters, but in 24 years I've only done that 4 times; otherwise just lake sailing.

Quantico Frank

Quote from: eaglecreeksailor22 on Jul 11, 2023, 01:59 PMSuzuki 2.5 LS. It is the lightest outboard that has F & N, still have to spin for reverse.

+1 on the Suzuki-- love mine. Might want to go up one in size.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

DBthal

Had a beautiful sail in 10 knots today until the wind shut down when I was 8 miles from home in the open ocean.

The Suzuki 2.5 got me home.... Quiet & reliable, but probably a shorter life in salt water than the air cooled Honda.

Dan

P.S. No jib sheet snags today.
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Riggerdood

Quote from: Bruce Mason on Jul 11, 2023, 02:10 PM
Quote from: Riggerdood on Jul 11, 2023, 12:19 PMWhen properly adjusted, the clutch should not engage at the "Start" throttle setting. Mine doesn't anyway. I do find the H2 to be pretty sensitive to choke position when cold vs. warm.

My H2 was like that from the day I took delivery from the dealer, and continued after every dealer service since then. It was my daily driver from 2010 to 2014, but I use it only very occasionally now having replaced it with a Lehr 2.5 in 2015, and most recently a Spirit 1.0 in 2019. Hopefully they have addressed the problem, but in the past it was a well-known issue. Worth checking out, especially if you're buying used.
I bought mine used, so it might have been adjusted that way by the PO. Dunno.

One thing to add about the H2 is that even though it is air cooled, the manual suggests running it in a bucket of fresh water after saltwater use, since there are still exhaust cooling passages under the cav plate that should be rinsed out.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Captain Kidd

Just talked to the guy selling the Honda 2.3, an older gentleman who has a lot of time on the water including liveaboard. It's new out of the box - just doesn't want to bother reboxing and returning so selling at a discount. He did start the motor. He said the prop did not turn at idle speed. Good news. I told him I liked the fact that it is air-cooled and can be started without a bucket of water. He said that's the reason he wanted the Honda howbeit he wanted a short shaft and ordered long by mistake.

I believe that is the best option for me. I only sail a few times a year. Being able to start the motor quickly and easily on a regular basis as Dave Scobie suggests will be much easier for me.

Gonna see the guy tomorrow.

tjspiel

Quote from: Captain Kidd on Jul 12, 2023, 12:19 PMJust talked to the guy selling the Honda 2.3, an older gentleman who has a lot of time on the water including liveaboard. It's new out of the box - just doesn't want to bother reboxing and returning so selling at a discount. He did start the motor. He said the prop did not turn at idle speed. Good news. I told him I liked the fact that it is air-cooled and can be started without a bucket of water. He said that's the reason he wanted the Honda howbeit he wanted a short shaft and ordered long by mistake.

I believe that is the best option for me. I only sail a few times a year. Being able to start the motor quickly and easily on a regular basis as Dave Scobie suggests will be much easier for me.

Gonna see the guy tomorrow.

Sounds promising. Good luck !

Brian N.

One thing I can say about the Honda is it is very easy to start, usually on the first or second pull. Something to be aware of, in my experience, is the engine is very sensitive to overfilling the oil, even a little bit. The engine will cut out a low idle speed. Remove a few milliliters and then she runs great. Got that tip from Dave Edwards who has not posted for a very long time. I use a 250mL beaker to measure out the oil. 
Fair winds
Brian N.