I need some help from the renaissance people here on repairing a wind chime

Started by Norm L., Mar 06, 2023, 05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm L.

I've had this windchime for over 25 years, so long I can't remember for sure what Maine harbor's bell buoy it imitates. I think it is Boothbay. For about 20 years it was on the balcony on the lake so was often in motion, sometimes very loudly. Happily the neighbors liked it.
I just took it down from its new loacation, our front porch. And I saw the wear.

I'm open to suggestions on how to rebuild the ring or otherwise hang it. It is made of cor-10 steel so I don't know how that affects welding/soldering/Super Glue.

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.   

Tim West Coast

What about drilling a hole the other direction and putting in a new ring?

Wayne Howard

Zip tie a keychain ring onto the old ring? I would be reluctant to do any other modifications to the chime for fear of changing the tones. But that's just me.
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Norm L.

Wayne, I like that idea. Even two similar diameter metal rings wire wrapped, one on each side.

Drilling a hole at the top would probably not greatly affect the sound but if you drilled below the common weld point you would go through two plates and would have to have a heafty ring to handle the chafe on the sharp edges of each plate. Rounding the holes sounds like way more work than wrapping chafing rings to the existing ring.

Charles Brennan

Norm, If it was me, I think I'd simply use a 3/32 thimble and cut it down to match the inside circumference, then crimp the edges to the ring with some pliers.

Hope this helps,
Charles Brennan

Norm L.

Now you've got me thinking two ways. "Cheek"chafing plates or an "insert"

So into the tiny shop and see what is lying around that can be adapted.

Thanks