News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

The good life

Started by tjspiel, Jul 23, 2023, 10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjspiel

When I first bought my boat I had visions of spending nights out on distant lakes or rivers with one of my kids and/or my wife.

That hasn't really happened.:)

But I do get an occasional night out on the boat, - mostly on the local lake. Not very exciting and kind of like camping in your back yard, but not much prep involved and extra fun if there's a few others doing it too.

Last night we had 3 boats. We grilled, drank, snacked, etc. while rafted together. Then once midnight rolled around, moved the boats apart a bit to anchor. It was a dead calm so an easy and relaxing night.

Felt lucky to be able to do this kind of thing.

You cannot view this attachment.

Brian N.

Cool   8)  Glad you had a great evening messin' with boats and enjoying the company of friends.

Just the other day my wife asked "Why don't we sail across the Sound to Connecticut and spend the night?" I'm all in for that!
Fair winds
Brian N.

tjspiel

Quote from: Brian N. on Jul 23, 2023, 11:38 AMCool   8)  Glad you had a great evening messin' with boats and enjoying the company of friends.

Just the other day my wife asked "Why don't we sail across the Sound to Connecticut and spend the night?" I'm all in for that!

That's fantastic! I doubt I'm going to hear anything like that from my wife anytime soon, but that gives me hope. :)

Quantico Frank

Sounds great, guys! I keep thinking about anchoring somewhere in the Potomac and overnighting, which I've never done before. I love sleeping on boats and ships. The only place I've done it on "Spirit" has been at the marina in Norfolk; and if you've never done that before, it is pretty amazing how loud it gets with all the halyards and whatever cables are inside the other masts clanking to beat the band. A quiet night might be nice....
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

tjspiel

Quote from: Quantico Frank on Jul 23, 2023, 05:58 PMSounds great, guys! I keep thinking about anchoring somewhere in the Potomac and overnighting, which I've never done before. I love sleeping on boats and ships. The only place I've done it on "Spirit" has been at the marina in Norfolk; and if you've never done that before, it is pretty amazing how loud it gets with all the halyards and whatever cables are inside the other masts clanking to beat the band. A quiet night might be nice....

We were lucky in that there was no wind or waves to speak of, - so no banging. I usually bring ear-plugs on overnight sailing trips partly because of those noises. They might even be pleasant during the day can keep you up at night.

Riggerdood

Looks idyllic Tom. I love overnighting on the boat. My wife and daughter, not so much. Oh well. One of the coolest places I've ever overnighted at anchor was in Santa Cruz. The fog rolling in at sunset, combined with the lights, sights, and sounds coming from the boardwalk are just surreal.

1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

DBthal

Tom,

It does sound like the "Good Life", a night on your boat hanging out with friends!

Brian - It would be a shame not to listen to your wife and go cruising.  8)

My wife & I are currently three days into a Maine coast cruise on our 22' Downeast power boat surrounded by magnificent sailboats. On anchor and just made my morning coffee. We're headed into Northeast Harbor on Mount Desert Island today for a mooring, a shower & dinner.

Dan
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

eaglecreeksailor22

Waking up at sun rise was always my favorite part of overnighting. So quiet and peaceful. I am in the process of moving back into a boat large enough to "camp" in and hope to relive that experience. My wife has no interest at all, but mermaids are welcome aboard.

tjspiel

Quote from: DBthal on Jul 24, 2023, 07:40 AMTom,

It does sound like the "Good Life", a night on your boat hanging out with friends!

Brian - It would be a shame not to listen to your wife and go cruising.  8)

My wife & I are currently three days into a Maine coast cruise on our 22' Downeast power boat surrounded by magnificent sailboats. On anchor and just made my morning coffee. We're headed into Northeast Harbor on Mount Desert Island today for a mooring, a shower & dinner.

Dan

Sounds great Dan! Day #3 of how many?

tjspiel

Quote from: Riggerdood on Jul 23, 2023, 09:14 PMLooks idyllic Tom. I love overnighting on the boat. My wife and daughter, not so much. Oh well. One of the coolest places I've ever overnighted at anchor was in Santa Cruz. The fog rolling in at sunset, combined with the lights, sights, and sounds coming from the boardwalk are just surreal.

I do like fog when I'm not actually sailing. Probably never get to sail out that way but it sounds beautiful.

tjspiel

Quote from: eaglecreeksailor22 on Jul 24, 2023, 08:08 AMWaking up at sun rise was always my favorite part of overnighting. So quiet and peaceful. I am in the process of moving back into a boat large enough to "camp" in and hope to relive that experience. My wife has no interest at all, but mermaids are welcome aboard.

Believe it or not, I've sailed with an actual mermaid. There is a certification process.

DBthal

QuotePosted by tjspiel  - Today at 08:36 AM

Sounds great Dan! Day #3 of how many?

Tom - We'll probably be out until Thursday or Friday.  The weather has been so rainy & foggy this Summer that we need to make the most of a beautiful forecast.
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Shesaidno

Thanks for sharing Tom!  Looks fantastic! 

Captain Kidd

I love overnighting. My wife will occasionally go. She does get tired of me creating "stories", if you know what I mean.

Here's a shot I thought you might enjoy. Took this on Chickamauga Lake in Chattanooga at sunrise after overnighting on my 11' dinghy.

tjspiel

Pretty idyllic. Love mornings like that.