Replacing the braking winch on a Potter 19

Started by baobabcd, Jul 24, 2023, 01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baobabcd

Newbie here
Good evening and my apologies if I am posting an inappropriate subject or in an inappropriate place.
Just acquired a Potter 19 (1984 as far as I know)
BIG BIG problem :

First time out, winch cable to keel broke. Managed to raise keel with jack, straps elbow grease etc.
Managed to ''splice'' cable and now have a keel that can be raised with difficulty.
I suspect that, if not original winch, the present winch does not have a 'brake' and is difficult to use.
What I cannot figure out is how to remove the existing winch to troubleshoot or replace.
From a web search, cannot find pics or intructions on how to remove winch. Winch is installed inside the transom. Very difficult to reach the bolts/nuts retaining winch to transom.

Your assistance would be much appreciated.

BTW had a Potter 15 which was destroyed during a storm in September 2021. Felt like I had lost a child (almost)

With thanks BC from the Maritimes (Canada)
Present : Potter 19
Past : 420 (no jib), Wayfarer, Mistral 16, Potter 15, Siren 17

Bud

I have had my winch out. The tricky part is all the washers IM used as spacers. I didn't know about them and they all fell when the winch came out. I had to guess how many went on each bolt. I must have come close. I have been using it for years. Make sure you get a winch with breaking ability, and replace the cable with synthetic rope. I used Dynmee with no problems for almost 20 years.

Six Bells

Sailing: Montgomery 15

baobabcd

Thank you for the prompt replies.
My issue is : can't figure out how to remove the winch that is now on. Since the winch is mounted under the inside of the transom, can't see where the nuts are on the bolts. By touch, seems that part of the winch system intrudes on the access to the nuts.
On the outside of the transom four (4) bolt heads are accessible. These have a slot which would allow to use a  large screwdriver BUT how do you grab the nuts inside the transom (how to secure the nuts while ''unscrewing'' the bolt from the top.
Also the recommended brake winch Fulton K650 is no longer available. On Amazon.ca (Canada) a Fulton 143002 1000lbs single speed brake winch is available. However bolt pattern is different from original(or diffirent from winch that is now on the boat).

Is there some kind of ''trick'' to remove existing winch from the transom.

Curiously, lots of info/advise on how to deal with the keel (rust, seizing etc) and on the cable business but no discussion on how to access/remove/replace winch. How can the cable be replaced if the winch is not accessible ??

Does my Potter have a unique winch system or am I just full of thumbs ??

Again thank you for your help.

Bud

It has been so long since I took that winch out I might not remember. It seems to me I was able to get a wrench on the nuts. I am assuming your Potter has a door in the transom that when open gives you a limited view of the winch. Looks like you will have to drill some new holes to install a new winch.

baobabcd

Again thank you for your assistance

Unfortunatly there is no ''door'' in the transom. There is an opening similar to a glove box in a car but no clear view of the winch.

If I could, would post a few pics and perhaps there is a simple answer
Pretty reluctant to use a grinder to remove the bolts from the top and drop the whole thing.

PS Great sailing weather here, would rather be on the water..Terribly short season
BTW located in Cocagne Bay New Brunswick, on/near Northumberland Straight

Bud

Wow, I am unsure what I would have done if I couldn't see some of the winch. Could you possibly use a mirror? I seem to recall I paid extra for some doors. I have one under each bench, maybe that included the door on the transom. You could think about making the opening under the winch larger. I wouldn't grind the heads off those bolts until I knew I could install a new winch.
By the way, I am half Newfie. My mother was from Newfoundland. My grandfather made his living on the sea.
Good Luck

baobabcd

Bud
Thank you for the advise.
To be sure I am very reluctant to enlarge the '' glove box'' opening to ''see'' the mounting of the winch or to attempt a replacement without a clear view of what it involves.
Will I be able to remove and replace the winch or will I end up with a damaged transom.

Had no idea some Potter 19's had a ''door'' in the transom. If a pic of this door is available, perhaps I can visualize the size of opening required and fabricate some kind of panel/door to cover up the enlarged opening.

Regards

Bud

I will take a picture of the door, along with measurements of the opening.

Scooter

I've got a P-19 about the same year as yours. I grabbed a few shots that might help. The 'door' which is in the cockpit NOT the transom:

You cannot view this attachment.

And the bolts looking up through the 'hole':

Does that look like what you have?

Bud

Here is a picture of the door. The opening is 7 inches below the top of the transom and 3 inches below the center of the winch handle. It looks like they just made the standard opening larger.

Six Bells

Not all Potter's have this access point.  My 1990 19 shows this to be the case.  In that case you need long arms or an extension for sockets to reach the winch bolts.
Sailing: Montgomery 15

Scooter

That's probably easier. Without the 'glove compartment' thing you can probably get to the bolts from the side bunks inside. There's lots more room to work once you squeeze back there.

Bud

Now that you mention the side bunks, that's how I go to the winch bolts. I also have doors under the bunks. With all the doors open there is lots of light.

Eric Zilbert

I have worked on my 1990 winch several times, I just block up the rear of the trailer, remove the bunk pad, and worm my way back. Plenty of room to work, but watch out, I lost a 9/16 wrench while working as it fell into the liner. I have no door in the cockpit. I switched to the dyneema line a few years ago and it is great. If you repace, wind about two inches of other line as a base to make it easier to lift. Also, Goose Gossman has located a replacement winch.

Also, with an older boat, expect to drill holes and fill others, all part of the territory.