Ronstan hardware, Monty 15

Started by Six Bells, Aug 08, 2023, 10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Six Bells

Hello, the previous owners of my Monty 15 had this set up as a powered  cruiser and had removed all of the sailing hardware.  I'm in the process of reinstalling the various pieces of the puzzle that will have her back to a like new sailboat.  The block for my mainsheet has a cleat, fairlead and I believe is meant to rotate at its base.  It's really stiff to turn... Is that normal in terms of rotation or should this Ronstan(RF67) item be freely rotating can I enquire please?  Before I fit this it would be helpful to see it's not an item that will cause me grief. 

Sailing: Montgomery 15

Dave Scobie

Yes that part will work.

I recommend you joining and discussing on the group's Facebook page as this forum is essentially dead.  Link - https://m.facebook.com/groups/330782353662726

Six Bells

Will do, thanks Dave,

In terms of the Ronstan part.  Mine doesn't rotate very freely.  Is that meant to be stiff or should this be free moving please?

Dave Scobie

Quote from: Six Bells on Aug 09, 2023, 12:42 PMIn terms of the Ronstan part.  Mine doesn't rotate very freely.  Is that meant to be stiff or should this be free moving please?

The swivel should move fairly easily and not resist/stop your changing the direction of pull.

DON'T use oil or WD40 type stuff to 'grease'.  Flush with much fresh water.  If still dragging make sure base fasteners are not over-tightened.  After that if part is old it may be past its operation life.

Again, best to use the Facebook group page for discussion involving more people.  This forum is essentially dead and sadly all archived messages seem to have been lost ... :(

Six Bells

Thank you Dave.  Much appreciate your insight.  I'm now signed up to Facebook for the Montgomery group. All the best
Ian