Messed up setting up my new furler, going to plan b

Started by Tom G P 21, Aug 12, 2023, 08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom G P 21

So back in the spring I bought a Scheafer 500 furler through Precision. I prepped the foil by cutting it to length to try and install it before I launched. Unfortunately it was too cold so I didn't get to install it before I launched. I kept the foils strapped to 2x4's in the backyard to keep them straight. Finally this weekend I had a friend join me to install it. Checking everything I found I had cut the two pieces of foil 2 inches to short! :'(  When I had tried to cut it back in the spring it was cold and the foil hadn't fully relaxed so I tried to cut it while it was partially coiled up by myself.

So I could call Schaefer and order a new foil for a couple of hundred dollars, but that would be admitting defeat so I am thinking of plan B. I had saved the sections I had cut off. The two piece foil is clamped by the spindle at the bottom. The other end the top two inches are covered by the spinning bearing. So I am thinking of putting a 2 inch piece on one side at the bottom and putting another 2inch piece at the top on the other to make up the difference. Maybe hitting the joints with a touch of JB Plastic weld which is good for PVC which the foil is made of. Any thoughts?

Tom

PS no measure twice cut one remarks. I am kicking myself doing this rookie mistake.

eaglecreeksailor22

You have nothing to lose by trying. Yes use the JB on the joints. Good luck.

tjspiel

On the CDIs only the bottom inch or so of the extrusion is sticking into the spindle. So in the case of the CDI, I'd be worried about the repaired part of the extrusion not being able to take the force of the rotating drum and the jib pulling the other direction in high winds. That bottom inch is taking the load of rotating the entire extrusion and the jib along with it.

If your extrusion sinks deeper into the drum/spindle of the Schaefer, then it's not as big of deal in my mind.

When I was doing my research on CDI installation there are a lot of people who cut their extrusions shorter than recommended for various reasons. One danger of doing that is the potential for the spindle to come up off the bearing but there are ways to prevent that.

Would the extrusion be too short for your jib without those extra two inches?

I'm a huge fan of JB Weld and have giant tubes of it. Since you can see how the mechanics of the Scheafer work, you're in the best position to determine whether that repair is going to be problematic or not. Just imagine it being super windy and you're trying to reel that jib in. Or you've got the jib partially reefed. The spindle is trying to hold the extrusion in place, while the jib is pulling hard the other way.

Is that repaired section going to matter or not in that situation?

Tom G P 21

Probably should of taken some photos of the situation. Going to at least price out what the new foil would cost. But if is as much as I think it is, I'll try to use the old one.

Tom G P 21

Checked Scheafer website almost $700, moving on to plan B.