Question about installing a new roller furler

Started by Tom G P 21, Aug 20, 2023, 05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom G P 21

So part one is over, I used small pieces at either end to lengthen the plastic foil that I had cut too short. Used a little JB well and it looks like it will work. So the mast is up but haven't put on the sails or run the lines.  My next question is where is your furling line run to that comes from the drum along the stanchions? In the kit is a stanchion mounted fiddlehead block with cleat ( or something similar). Is it mounted on the amidship stanchion near the cabin bulkhead or on the rear stanchion, the one angled or on the stern? Curios what others have. Took a look at Sailing Texas and didn't see anything definitive.

Riggerdood

Rum Line uses stanchion mounted fairleads, with the first being positioned on the pulpit in such a way that the line comes off the drum at 90 degrees. There are then one on each lifeline stanchion, a turning block on the sternrail, and small cam cleat on the coaming.

You cannot view this attachment.

1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Tom G P 21

Thanks for the photos. I know about the stanchion mounted fairleads and the give me the idea how far back to mount the cleat for the end of the furler line.

Tom G P 21

Yay! was able to finish up installing the roller furler today. I got the rotation right on the first try, had a 50 50 chance. Still need to tweak a few things; will need new longer jib sheets, the angle of the camcleat on the end block need adjusting. One last thing is the eye of my halyard is too long and is preventing me from tightening up the sail the last inch. I had the same problem with my mainsail and had changed it to a halyard knot and will probably do the same.

Riggerdood

Quote from: Tom G P 21 on Aug 21, 2023, 06:11 AMThanks for the photos. I know about the stanchion mounted fairleads and the give me the idea how far back to mount the cleat for the end of the furler line.
I like having the turning block and furling line led forward and inboard. I can stand in the cockpit facing forward, pull the furling line with my left hand, and keep some tension on the sheet with my right, while watching for any hangups, and to get a nice tight furl.

Riggerdood

Quote from: Tom G P 21 on Aug 21, 2023, 08:25 PMYay! was able to finish up installing the roller furler today. I got the rotation right on the first try, had a 50 50 chance. Still need to tweak a few things; will need new longer jib sheets, the angle of the camcleat on the end block need adjusting. One last thing is the eye of my halyard is too long and is preventing me from tightening up the sail the last inch. I had the same problem with my mainsail and had changed it to a halyard knot and will probably do the same.

Looks great!