Under 6 weeks left of sailing in 2023, starting to think about off season tasks

Started by tjspiel, Aug 29, 2023, 06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjspiel

Actually it'll probably be 5 as of Friday as I like to get my boat out before the rush of the last weekend.

• Jib track installation
  • Replace rest of standing rigging
  • Touch up some bottom paint that got scratched up
  • Have a "new to me" experimental trolling motor that needs some work
  • 2nd set of reef points (maybe)

I'm sure there are others.

Fall is hard because the sun goes down so early. Not really any time after work. There are still things I can do while the boat is in the water and whatever doesn't get done on that list will get moved to the off season list.

But no sail work this year except maybe the 2nd set of reef points. Probably no cushions this year either though eventually I'd like to recover the cabin cushions with something a little less "Eighties".

What is on other people's to do list?

Brian N.

Actually not anything to do except to get out and go sailing. The boat is a 2008 and most of the time is under a tarp in the driveway. She has been "gently" used, low "mileage". I've thought about replacing the running and standing rigging, but they seem to be in good shape, as are the sails. The good news for you Tom is thee is nothing that needs immediate attention.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Quantico Frank

I would like to be sailing into the second half of October, if possible. No major upgrades this offseason, but fixing my downhaul cleat and maybe picking up that Mantus dinghy anchor that BrianS recommended and finding a way to stow it closer to the cockpit to keep it handy in an emergency. Discovered my need for this earlier this season when a crab pot line fouled my prop, necessitating a mad dash forward in the cabin to retrieve my main anchor (granted it was a "dash" of 16'5".)

Also, probably having the bottom repainted.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

Brian N.

Quote from: Quantico Frank on Aug 30, 2023, 07:05 AM- necessitating a mad dash forward in the cabin to retrieve my main anchor (granted it was a "dash" of 16'5".)
;D  ;D  ;D

The small Lewmar claw anchor was about $15 at WM. The 50 feet of nylon line was a bit more.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Tom G P 21

Getting water in the bilge, time to redo the deck seam. Its been about ten years since the last time I did it.

Quantico Frank

Quote from: Brian N. on Aug 30, 2023, 08:24 AMThe small Lewmar claw anchor was about $15 at WM. The 50 feet of nylon line was a bit more.

Took your advice, Brian. That's a purchase I can afford THIS season!
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

RichardS

Hmm, maybe my off season task is to . . . buy another boat?!?!? ;D

Macsp21

Off season projects permently mount transsponders for depth, speed and water temp  replace bimini

tjspiel

Quote from: RichardS on Sep 01, 2023, 07:10 AMHmm, maybe my off season task is to . . . buy another boat?!?!? ;D

Yes, you should definitely do that. :)

tjspiel

Quote from: Tom G P 21 on Aug 31, 2023, 05:35 PMGetting water in the bilge, time to redo the deck seam. Its been about ten years since the last time I did it.

Did you get a new rub rail back then? I had a devil of a time getting mine back on.

Tom G P 21

Never Took it off! Read too many horror stories about problems of getting it back on from the old website. What I did instead was roll one side of the rubrail at a time up onto the stanchions. Never took off the stern clamp. Did one side , roll it back on then do the other. Was able to do all but about the last foot of the seam at the stern. Figured it was the lesser of two evils than trying to get it back on. I had a long explanation with pictures on the old website.