Maybe something wrong with me?

Started by NickScheuer, Sep 02, 2023, 09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NickScheuer

Eccentric, maybe?  So when We decided to switch from cruising under sail (in a rather eccentric yawl) to cruising under Diesel power, only a fifty-year-old design from Sweden seemed to fit the bill.  Why?  Fuel economy was a big reason, being a highly respected design that has stood the test of time was another, very reasonable cost was another.  Gayle was enthusiastic about the standing headroom as well as the enclosed head.

Not saying I'm actively looking for another power cruiser, but if I was, it won't be easy to find.  She'll need to be easily trailerable of course, and economical on fuel, and not cost a great deal.  After enjoying all the benefits of a venerable Diesel engine that needs to be towed 170 miles round trip in order to hire a competent mechanic. I think I'd be happier with a fifty hp Yamaha outboard complete with mechanics close at hand right here in Rockford.  I'm also considering an aluminum hull, because they last a long, long tome and are generally light displacement (remember "easily trailerable").  So why are all the leading candidates approximately fifty years old?  I like examples that used to be built by Starcraft, or Lone Star, or Crestliner.

Riley Smith

My dad had an old 18' Starcraft with bow seating and a split windshield. He and my mom refurbished it. It was a very nice boat when they got finished and he promptly sold it for a profit. He never was much of one for a larger boat and the associated headaches. They sold the dang thing before I even knew it or got to go out in it!
Riley

NickScheuer

I should clarify; said boat would have just a single 50 hp motor, not four, not five, and definitely not six.

Captain Kidd

Quote from: NickScheuer on Sep 02, 2023, 09:44 AMEccentric, maybe?  So when We decided to switch from cruising under sail (in a rather eccentric yawl) to cruising under Diesel power, only a fifty-year-old design from Sweden seemed to fit the bill.  Why?  Fuel economy was a big reason, being a highly respected design that has stood the test of time was another, very reasonable cost was another.  Gayle was enthusiastic about the standing headroom as well as the enclosed head.

Not saying I'm actively looking for another power cruiser, but if I was, it won't be easy to find.  She'll need to be easily trailerable of course, and economical on fuel, and not cost a great deal.  After enjoying all the benefits of a venerable Diesel engine that needs to be towed 170 miles round trip in order to hire a competent mechanic. I think I'd be happier with a fifty hp Yamaha outboard complete with mechanics close at hand right here in Rockford.  I'm also considering an aluminum hull, because they last a long, long tome and are generally light displacement (remember "easily trailerable").  So why are all the leading candidates approximately fifty years old?  I like examples that used to be built by Starcraft, or Lone Star, or Crestliner.

The water has an allurement. Nothing wrong with you!

Norm L.

Just doing a quick search I do see a number of Starcraft Starchiefs for sale with a completely restored one at $14,000, and fixer-uppers at $1500 and up.

NickScheuer

The boat I was once aboard back about 1970 (not new at that point) was larger, over 20' with a layout that included a companionway between cockpit and fore cabin.

Jim B., CD-25

Not sure how fast you want to go, but maybe look at a Nimble Nomad.  That was the boat that made me consider making a move from sail to power, before setting my sights on the C-Dory.  The Nomad is fiberglass, not metal; a relatively flat bottom (so easy to launch and retrieve).  Most were equipped with a Honda 50.  It has a cabin, so overnight outings are very doable.  A 6 knot boat that will pound a bit in chop.  Definitely nautical looking.  Forward and rear cockpits.

After selling the C-Dory 25, I continued driving commercial boats - that took a lot of the desire for recreational boating out for me.  Then, Joan wanted another boat; something small.  I considered a 16' C-Dory, she wanted a pontoon.  We compromised and got a pontoon.  Small; easy to launch, retrieve, and handle.  I missed having an enclosed helm, but our outings were generally within 8 miles or so of our home (mostly dolphin watching).  Eventually, we both came to the conclusion that we were OK being boatless.  I sold the pontoon (amazing demand for those).

There was a time I couldn't imagine being without a boat.  I guess that era is officially over, since we are moving to the desert (our daughter's lobbying finally paid off - once Joan got onboard with that idea, my opinion was pretty much irrelevant).

I could see one last boat... for my daughter to set on fire for my Viking funeral.  Yeah, kidding.  Boat reminiscing after getting the news of Jimmy Buffett passing yesterday.

Good luck with the search, Nick.

NickScheuer

As a former Dovekie and Shearwater owner there is no way I'm going for a Nimble. ;D Builder rivalry, ya'know?  I'd prefer a 21-footer, 23 max, in aluminum.  I was always impressed when cruising up north that the Lund fisherman left the mildest wakes.  They could always pass as their normal speed and we'd exchange waves.  At six knots our Albin didn't make enough wake for a small boat sailor to worry about, neither.

Norm L.

I've kept track of the Nomads. They are still selling for more than original, unless they need a lot of work.

I told this Nomad story decades ago.
There was a female yacht surveyor, I think she was from N. GA. (my mind only works on some trivia). She took over the business when her husband died and was very highly respected. Back in the 80's when Nimble's were being built she bought a Nomad.
She upgraded it with modified cruising/camping gear, and solar panels, hooked up to a Suburban and spent close to a year cruising the back water areas of the rivers and swamps of the south. It was quite the adventure, and it would have made a great book.
Those waters are the home of fishers, trappers, hermits, and bootleggers.

Her travels and choice of a Nomad convinced me.

Jim, there are land sailors, and you can go back to the days of your Cat with a tri-maran if three wheels can substitute for 3 hulls.