I didn't have fun yesterday.

Started by Captain Kidd, Sep 02, 2023, 02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Kidd

Did I really say that?

I did.

I took Disciple Ship out for a brief time yesterday. Hadn't been out in a month (my super moon outing). Forecast was for 8 mph winds. (I really needed to be out on Wednesday on the back edge of Idalia with steady NE winds in the 11-13 mph range but Weds don't work for me).

I didn't leave the house until 2:00. I was tired when I left. Got out and the winds were just so erratic. Wind, no wind, from here, from there. I'm getting old. My 68th year is not being kind. Not as much energy. Hips and shoulders hurting. It was hot (though not as hot as last week when I didn't dare). I had maybe two good puffs. Other than that... Really didn't feel like rowing.

I get frustrated with inland lake winds. Yesterday it just hit me wrong.

I don't mean to be negative, but it is what it is. No pretending.

The Hunter is waiting to try out the new Honda 2.3. Got to work out the trailer issues first. I do want to do the TN River gorge this year - the whole 30 miles. Never done it before. When the leaves turn, I'll take 2 days to do it with my wife. I think she'll be up to it.

As fall approaches, I'll be looking for some steady breezes, maybe some fronts coming through. I also plan to go up to Lake Ocoee and camp on the far shore of the lake which has me inside of Cherokee National Forest and free/legal camping. I've enjoyed several of those trips in the past.

Until next time.

Norm L.

Good on ya for continuing to look down the road to the next adventure. Sorry to hear of the ongoing aches, but at 69 you a still a youth. Maybe not a callow youth.  :-X

Captain Kidd

Quote from: Norm L. on Sep 02, 2023, 03:21 PMGood on ya for continuing to look down the road to the next adventure. Sorry to hear of the ongoing aches, but at 69 you a still a youth. Maybe not a callow youth.  :-X

Hey! What do you know? I learned a new word: callow.

Age is a relative thing. Compared to some I am young. But I'm nearing my "three score and ten" (Psalm 90). Old Testament priests retired at 60. Average age today is what? Around 78 for men and a couple more for women? I have not considered myself "old" until this year. Hair is getting quite gray (and thin), aches/stiffness increasing, etc.

Age has been discussed several times on this forum. I know that there are a good number on the forum who are older than I am. That being said it's too early to throw in the towel, though I may have to be more selective in how I expend my energies. There is much sailing that I'd like to do. I'm very desirous of participating in some rendevous (like the FL 120, Cedar Key, maybe the OBX 130) We'll just have to see how it all plays out. When I can retire and how much gas is left in the tank at that time will play into all of that.