Idalia Waves and Wind 4 days at Atlantic Beach, NC

Started by Doug SC, Sep 05, 2023, 02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug SC

We were invited to stay with my sister at their place on Atlantic Beach last week. This gave us a front row seat as Idalia past offshore of us. We had lots of rain Wednesday and overnight into Thursday. I thought I would share the photos of the beach during our stay.

We arrived early evening on Monday to calm seas and a beautiful gibbous moon rise during the end of the day.
You cannot view this attachment.

The next day another offshore storm in the Atlantic (I believe it might have been Franklin) had the ocean waves a bit angry.

The moon came up later that evening and was close to being full. The seas had also calmed down some.

Wednesday between the rains we went to Fort Macon for the firing of the canon. When hit with the shock wave of 3 pounds of gunpowder going off it is impressive. A Marsh Rabbit greeted us at the Fort.

Doug SC

The worst of Idalia passed us in the night, but the waves and winds were still a sight to see Thursday morning.

By that evening the seas had calmed down and the sand pipers were back feeding in the surf.

Norm L.

I love all of your nature photos.

Whenever I see photos like that I think of the "good old days" and running boats up on the beach on purpose. That was sort of fun.
now after the Marines got off and we had to back out through the surf, that was mostly fun. I never breached and never had one in my wave breach but I did see it happen a couple of times and the LCM-6 have to venture into the surf zone to get a line on the LCVP and tow it out.
At least those boats floated and were not like their replacement the AAV/ACV, the floating tombstones.

Captain Kidd

Riley Smith

Those are nice photos Doug. (I'm late to the party) It's sort of fun watching a big storm do a swipe and definitely photogenic! I remember securing the Labrot House just before Georges came calling. We could see the storm coming from the southeast, a gigantic white haze that went almost into space. Because you knew it was still almost 300 miles away and you were looking at the TOP of it, not the part touching Earth. And I had JUST made it to the tee on the end of the pier, replacing the walkway  :'(  Brings back memories. The roads flood to the Labrot House and it becomes an island. (Italian Island and I won't delve into why it is called that by people that know). So far, this season had been very uneventful for us.
Riley

Doug SC

Ophelia made landfall near Emerald Isle, North Carolina this morning which is about 15-20 miles south of my sister's place. I suspect the beach at her place is taking a beating today.