We Got OUT THERE!!!

Started by Wayne Howard, Sep 12, 2023, 07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne Howard

We haven't had a TS since 2011 but I still lurk here a lot. I've been missing four inches on the front of my left tibia since August 2022. The big boat has had issues because we haven't used her much in the last three years. Hurricane Sally repairs and captain repairs.  ::)  My current status is I am limping unaided until I notice I am limping then I stop and restart to walk normally for about 5 minutes then slip back into limping. But I am making progress. No crutches and no cane.

Today we took a couple of friends out on Impetuous and Pensacola Bay. Winds were light and very variable so we mostly motor sailed to the navy base. The weather started looking bad so we headed back to the marina. The winds finally settled down to dead ahead so we dropped the sails on the way.

Here's where things got interesting. We motored into the marina and over to the pumpout station to empty the holding tank from our BEER trip. I neglected to shorten the dinghy tow line as we came in. A little jiggling with throttle and gears at the pumpout station and I managed to wrap the tow line on the prop. I had to dive in the marina and cut the tow line free. YUK!!! We did empty the tank and entered our slip. It was a perfect landing. About halfway through putting the boat to bed, the rain started. Oh, goody. We don't have to wash the boat. Then it poured. I was already soaked from the earlier swim on the tow line so I didn't mind getting the marina water washed off of me. I did mind putting my wet clothes on the front seat of the Honda. We got everything put away and walked up to the car. And then the rain stopped.

It was a good day even if the motor was only off for about 30 minutes. We left the slip. We raised the sails. I felt as comfortable as I normally do while onboard a moving sailboat. Lessons learned again and again.

I have a new sign we picked up in a thrift store in Pensacola. "I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing."  Oops.
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Doug SC

Yippee! I know it must feel good to be on the water again. So glad to read this, and sailing can be a wet endeavor!

Often times a boating outing doesn't go as envisioned, Like the time I took my newly acquired Scamp for a sail when I returned to the dock and step up to the bow it heeled like it would capsize, and I went into the water. when I pulled the boat out, water came pouring out a cracked hull in the starboard flotation tank at the bow. I had the joy of removing a rotted area of the hull and build it back. However, I was smiling the whole time I sailed her that day. The only thing I noticed is the little boat heeled more on a starboard tack while sailing and hardly at all on a port one toward the end of the day.

Norm L.

A good sail is always welcomed. But also a sail that comes back with a good story.

Wayne you may not believe the number of professional mariners, including tugboat and emergency towing vessels that have gotten a tow line in their wheel.

No sail but a nice long weekend in Providence and a tour of Newport. Passing Bannister's Wharf, I was reminded of a great guy, friend and super sailor.

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Wayne, I'm so glad your leg has healed enough that you could safely go sailing!  Hooray for healing!!!

Riley Smith

Yay! Boat time! I'm glad to hear it!
Riley