Playing the waiting game with Hurricane Lee

Started by Tom G P 21, Sep 14, 2023, 07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom G P 21

When they were predicting that Lee might come up the coast last week I did the standard storm prep just in case I didn't get out to the boat. I wrapped an extra line around the furler, lashed down the pennants and also spiral wrapped a line around the main. Glad I did because between weather and schedule I wasn't able to get out and now I'll just have to wait to see what happens on Saturday. Right now they are predicting 24 mph winds with gusts to 40 and 12 ft waves.

DBthal

Tom,

I'm closer to the "strike" zone than you.  Yesterday I was in Perse, Quebec and drove 12 hrs home to pull my boats.

Today will be spent pulling two boats out of the water and bringing them back home.

Hoping the storm isn't too bad....

Dan
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Brian N.

AHHHH  :'(   My wife and I have been planning a trip to Acadia for the last couple of months, and we booked our arrival on Monday. Hopefully all will blow-over quickly with minimal impact. Good luck to all, stay safe.
Fair winds
Brian N.

DBthal

Quote from: Brian N. on Sep 14, 2023, 08:41 AMAHHHH  :'(  My wife and I have been planning a trip to Acadia for the last couple of months, and we booked our arrival on Monday. Hopefully all will blow-over quickly with minimal impact. Good luck to all, stay safe.

Brian,

It's supposed to be nice weather again on Sunday. Next week looks like a great week for you.  Probably be clean up needed after the storm, though.

I'll keep you posted with local updates.

Dan
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

DBthal

You cannot view this attachment.

Our bay is filling up with cruising sailboats sheltering from hurricane Lee.

Two are from Great Britain, one from Canada. The icons only show  the boats with AIS transmitters. There are more anchored.
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Riggerdood

Hold fast y'all! Hope it's not as bad as predicted up there ...

1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Tom G P 21

First light Saturday morning and things don't look to bad where I am. Gusts up to about 20mph and waves aren't too bad in Salem Sound. Storm went just far enough out that we aren't getting hit, similar to a typical Nor'easter. Looking at the Conditions off Cape Ann, about 10 miles closer and winds and waves are doubled.

Brian N.

A public thanks to Dan for the PM sent. We called the B & B we booked by Acadia and they assured us they will contact us in case of any problems.

Here on Long island the big threat from powerful storms and hurricanes is beach erosion and of course the older trees which take down power lines. Interestingly and somewhat related, my insurance company (which I recently dropped, long story) sent a letter that we no longer qualify for Home Owners insurance renewal because of our proximity to Long Island Sound. For the record we are about a mile from the shoreline and 165 feet elevation (although its mostly sand and glacial till).
Fair winds
Brian N.

DBthal

Not too bad here so far (a jinx for sure)....

Wind is supposed to peak in the upcoming three hours.

The storm has started it's turn towards Nova Scotia.
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

DBthal

Seems like the worst of the storm went east of us. Winds are back down to 20 with gusts to 30. As Tom said, like a typical Nor'easter.
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"