Voyaging the Chesapeake on Godspeed (OT)

Started by RichardS, Sep 23, 2023, 04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichardS

I will be offline for a while, as we undertake our 3-week Fall voyage on Godspeed, the recreation of one of the three square rigged ships that brought the English to Jamestown in 1607. First stop The Tides Inn on Northern Neck, to participate in the Turkey Shoot Regatta (fundraiser for hospice), second stop Onancock on the Eastern Shore for school kids and the public, and then home to Jamestown. Should be fun now that TS Ophelia is heading north. Fair winds y'all, see you when I am back.
You cannot view this attachment.

Quantico Frank

Sounds great, Richard! I've heard about the Tides Inn since I was growing up in Portsmouth, but never been. Definitely on my bucket list though. Have fun and keep us in the loop!
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

Riggerdood

That is so cool! How many on the crew Richard?
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

RichardS

Our crew varies by leg of the voyage (the captain and 2 mates are paid pros, the rest of us are volunteers), ranging from 9-11. The colonists had 13. The six sails have about 60 lines of running rigging (for almost every line there is an equal and opposite line (port/starboard or up/down)) so it takes a lot of hands and coordination among them! We sleep below in custom bunk beds (colonist crew just fell out wherever they found a spot) and share a head. There is a small galley and refrigeration, and we are fortunate to have among us some very good cooks. But as we like to paint a picture of great suffering to friends and family, how well we eat is a state secret!

Brian N.

Fair winds
Brian N.

tjspiel

Quote from: RichardS on Sep 24, 2023, 08:30 AMBut as we like to paint a picture of great suffering to friends and family, how well we eat is a state secret!
;D

Sounds like a ton of fun on a great looking ride ! 

Riggerdood

Quote from: RichardS on Sep 24, 2023, 08:30 AMOur crew varies by leg of the voyage (the captain and 2 mates are paid pros, the rest of us are volunteers), ranging from 9-11. The colonists had 13. The six sails have about 60 lines of running rigging (for almost every line there is an equal and opposite line (port/starboard or up/down)) so it takes a lot of hands and coordination among them! We sleep below in custom bunk beds (colonist crew just fell out wherever they found a spot) and share a head. There is a small galley and refrigeration, and we are fortunate to have among us some very good cooks. But as we like to paint a picture of great suffering to friends and family, how well we eat is a state secret!
Yup, lots 'o' line on a ship like that! And crew "comfort" seemed to be pretty far down on the list. I remember taking a tour of the Nina replica years ago, and the captain's quarters was literally a hole in the deck with a chart table in it, although that was over 100 years earlier.

Quantico Frank

Yup, lots 'o' line on a ship like that! And crew "comfort" seemed to be pretty far down on the list. I remember taking a tour of the Nina replica years ago, and the captain's quarters was literally a hole in the deck with a chart table in it, although that was over 100 years earlier.
[/quote]

Samuel Johnson said: "No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."

Riggerdood

Frank, so I guess if you have to be on a ship, the brig is the best quarters?  :o

Quantico Frank

Captain Kidd

Sounds like a great adventure. My daughter and her family just visited Jamestown this summer. I grew up in Richmond. Our 4th grade field trip was to Williamsburg/Jamestown.

The Pinta is visiting Chattanooga in a few weeks (Nov 3-20). It was here maybe 8-10 years ago and I took the "tour" of the ship. Pretty cool. She's not colorful like Godspeed, but is flat black. Not sure what her finish is.

Wayne Howard

We saw the Pinta after Hurricane Sally in Pensacola. They draft 7 feet but the captain said the depthfinder was reading 6 inches where they were at. We think they used air tubes to roll her out to deep water but we weren't there when that happened. We did bring them pizza for the entire crew one night while they were aground.
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.