WANTED. P165 Head saiil

Started by eaglecreeksailor22, Sep 25, 2023, 07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaglecreeksailor22

Hello all, I am looking for a serviceable Jib 100-110 % must be configured for a CDI # 1 furler. Please contact me direct at rawhite1989@aol.com or cell# 317-696-1946 with description and price. I will also pay the shipping.
Thanks Rich.

Brian N.

Hi Rich - Not sure if this is the right place to post a "wanted" add. There are a couple of used sail sites you should contact. You might be better off finding something with measurements that are close and have it recut, but that can run into extra cost. I would call Rolly Tasker, their sail prices are reasonable and probably already have the measurements in their data base. If you're not committed to a furling jib, I bet you can find a good deal on a hank-on, that may not need to be recut. Just some suggestions, good luck in your search.
Fair winds
Brian N.

tjspiel

Agree with Brian. There are only so many 165s in the world and only a fraction of them were equipped with furlers.

And of the owners of those boats, you have to find one who for some reason is selling a perfectly good jib, - or at least a serviceable one.

Not that it can't happen. Maybe somebody bought a sail for racing or decided to get a Genoa. Maybe the boat was damaged beyond repair and the owner is trying to get what they can by selling what's left over.

But more often than not, if you find somebody selling a jib for your particular boat it's because it's seen its better days. Then you have to wonder if it's worth spending money on something like that or if you would be better off just getting a new one.

But, if you expand your search to include boats with jibs of similar sizes, you increase your chances of finding a used one in good condition.

sailboatdata.com is a great resource if you see a jib for sale from a different boat that you think might fit. It has a large database of boats and the sizes of their sails. If there's a class of boat which are frequently raced that has jibs of a similar size, that may be your best bet. Serious racers frequently replace sails that are still plenty good for non-racers or casual racers.

Last summer I bought a used jib from a Flying Scott. I bought it from a friend of the original owner who was deceased. He had purchased a 2nd set of sails for the boat and never used them. I guess he was a little eccentric.

I have a P18 and the jib slightly shorter than a P18 jib so may be that's an option for you. However, it was a hank-on with small battens. I converted to roller furling this year and had to convert the jib too. Not a bad project if you enjoy that sort of thing. Miserable if you don't. ;)

So a hank-on is an option too if you're willing to convert it or have someone else do it. A sail loft could probably give you an idea of what that would cost based on size. But again, probably not worth it for an old sail.

Lastly, if your current jib was damaged but otherwise in good condition, you could see about getting it repaired.

Quantico Frank

Quote from: Brian N. on Sep 25, 2023, 11:21 AMcall Rolly Tasker

Brian and Rich, my experience with calling Rolly Tasker for sails cut for Precisions has been that I get a call back from Bill Porter of Precision, FYI....
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

eaglecreeksailor22

Thanks to all who have responded. Yes I am committed to keeping the furler on the boat. My currant head sail is only 4 yrs old but the boat sat for 2yrs with the sails installed and the head sail suffered UV damage. It has been repaired but would like to have a back up.

tjspiel

Quote from: Quantico Frank on Sep 26, 2023, 05:15 AM

Brian and Rich, my experience with calling Rolly Tasker for sails cut for Precisions has been that I get a call back from Bill Porter of Precision, FYI....

Interesting. Rolly Tasker lists quite a few boats on their site (but not Precisions). Sails for boats similar in size to a P-18 are quite a bit cheaper than what Bill has on his site. But maybe that's because they make them on demand rather than keep a bunch in stock.

tjspiel

Quote from: eaglecreeksailor22 on Sep 26, 2023, 08:07 AMThanks to all who have responded. Yes I am committed to keeping the furler on the boat. My currant head sail is only 4 yrs old but the boat sat for 2yrs with the sails installed and the head sail suffered UV damage. It has been repaired but would like to have a back up.

I put a UV cover/strip on the leech and foot of the jib when I converted it to roller furling. I wonder how long that typically lasts before it needs to be replaced. Two straight years would be equivalent to 4 seasons for me.

Quantico Frank

Quote from: tjspiel on Sep 26, 2023, 08:41 AMInteresting. Rolly Tasker lists quite a few boats on their site (but not Precisions). Sails for boats similar in size to a P-18 are quite a bit cheaper than what Bill has on his site. But maybe that's because they make them on demand rather than keep a bunch in stock.

I think Bill buys them in mass during the off-season, and maybe they're protecting their reseller. (And maybe that's why they don't list Precision.) That was the year I thought it would be really great to have colorful sails which Bill doesn't offer.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

tjspiel

Quote from: Quantico Frank on Sep 26, 2023, 09:15 AM
Quote from: tjspiel on Sep 26, 2023, 08:41 AMInteresting. Rolly Tasker lists quite a few boats on their site (but not Precisions). Sails for boats similar in size to a P-18 are quite a bit cheaper than what Bill has on his site. But maybe that's because they make them on demand rather than keep a bunch in stock.

I think Bill buys them in mass during the off-season, and maybe they're protecting their reseller. (And maybe that's why they don't list Precision.) That was the year I thought it would be really great to have colorful sails which Bill doesn't offer.

Someone said that Bill does fine by just selling parts and it probably doesn't require a huge amount of his time. That doesn't work financially without some sort of markup.

Hope he stays in business for awhile and I've bought a few things from him here and there. But sails are expensive enough as it is. I can't see spending a couple hundred more just to get them from Bill.

Straander

For both P165 jibs I've ordered, I got them through Bill Porter. He makes a sail order several times a year and adds mine to the order and has been happy to accommodate the modifications Ive asked. (Larger or smaller sail area. Piston hanks instead of twist on hanks).

Both times the jib was $300-$350. Which was about 1/3 the price as a quote I got from a local sail loft.

Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington

tjspiel

Quote from: Straander on Sep 26, 2023, 03:50 PMFor both P165 jibs I've ordered, I got them through Bill Porter. He makes a sail order several times a year and adds mine to the order and has been happy to accommodate the modifications Ive asked. (Larger or smaller sail area. Piston hanks instead of twist on hanks).

Both times the jib was $300-$350. Which was about 1/3 the price as a quote I got from a local sail loft.

Similar sized jibs direct from Rolly Tasker and through Precision Boatworks are pretty close in price. But for a main, Bill wants over $700 and Rolly Tasker charges under $500 for approximately the same dimensions.

Unless there's something really unusual about Precision mains that make them expensive, - but that doesn't appear to be the case.

That's based on pricing on the Precision Boatworks site which maybe isn't up to date and he'd actually charge less.