News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Upwind downriver

Started by Riley Smith, Sep 25, 2023, 05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riley Smith

I decided there was enough wind to sail. Maybe. That's the thing about Prime Time on the MS gulf coast, there CAN be long periods of NO wind. Some weather was approaching and I figured it would stir up things some, and some of the stations were showing wind. Off I hied to the I-10 ramp.
It is near the convergence of two rivers, the Escatawpa and Pascagoula, at Griffin Point. I did raise the sail last time to check everything, despite no wind.The throat halyard wasn't doing it's thing well, so really the main thrust this time was just an exercise in rigging. I made sure there were no lines fouled, and it took me about 30 minutes to get it right. I can do it in about 15 minutes when I get all the kinks worked out.
I plopped her in and fired up the Honda to get out into the river channel, where I could see wavelets! I finally stowed the motor and hoisted the sheet, headed downriver to the point. And the gaff out-haul promptly came undone. Drop the sheet, redo the out-haul and then hoist again. Yes, very rusty, but it is fun chasing all the bugs out of this pile of sticks, rope, and knots.
I tacked awhile, headed to the point. If Id had more time, I would have explored the north shore. I finally made it upwind to the point and made a victory lap before doing the downwind back up river. And of course, because dusk was approaching, the wind died as it does most evenings during Prime Time, but the Honda purred me back to the ramp.
There are a few kinks, but she'll sail! I'm considering some different cleats for the halyards. A jam clear would be very helpful there. It is very hard to fine tune the sail solo because all that new line has to stretch out, which requires fiddling with halyards. Some crew to steer while I adjust would be GREAT once the wind gets out of the doldrums it has been in. Maybe I'll have to Shanghai my surrogate daughters son,Brandon. I DID give him his first boat!
Anyway, I got to hear the Huey sound the leach makes and listen to a wake!

Riley

Doug SC

I was on the water Saturday, but reading your report has me wanting to get back out. Archery season is in, so I have competing interests of holding a longbow or mainsheet in my hand. Would love to see a few photos next time.

Riley Smith

There isn't much time to take photos when you're solo! There are a LOT of lines on this little boat and added to that is I'm still tweaking the rig. I'll get some next time hopefully. I'm not very fond of the cell phone camera and am loath to use it, so that adds another dimension in trying to deal with a real camera. I might mention that the power boaters have absolutely no idea what tacking is all about.
Riley

Doug SC

Indeed, how true it is about solo sailing and picture taking, and to add on top of that dealing with a reorganized rigging. Then there are the power boaters "bless their heart". (I'll bet they say that or worse about sailors.) All that is demanding of attention. 

It's so true about not understanding tacking. If you are not a sailor, you most likely have no idea what windward means to a sailboat. A point in case the sheriff's deputy I rescued after he was thrown from his speeding patrol boat wanted me to try and get him back on his unmanned craft. I told him this is a sailboat, and I could only do what the wind allowed me to do. His comment was "I don't know anything about a sailboat!" I think it's best to keep an eye on power boats they think in straight lines not in zig zags.