Hull Speed Schmull Speed

Started by tjspiel, Oct 02, 2023, 01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjspiel

Pulled the boat out this morning after a full weekend of sailing to wrap up the season.

Yesterday was the annual year end regatta on our lake. It's very informal. No PHRF handicapping or anything like that. It's more about having fun than how you finish.

But of course we were keeping track and we beat every keel boat in every race. There was tons of wind and theoretically that would give the boats with more waterline an advantage. We talked about this in our Friday Happy Hour that Precisions maybe aren't true displacement boats and more like hybrids. There might be something to that.

You cannot view this attachment.

Here we are leaving an O'Day 222 in the dust and inching by an overloaded Rhodes 19. Kevin (my crew) is trying to keep us flat. Not sure his methods were entirely race legal. If you look closely at the jib on the Rhodes (boat to the left), you might notice something unusual about it. See if you can figure out what it is.

We weren't keeping track of our speed so I don't really know if we ever exceeded hull speed or not but we had no trouble passing the bigger boats. Now the Hobie 16, the MC Scow, and Flying Scott were a different story. :)

Thanks to one really lucky start and a course layout that was pretty unfavorable to the Hobie, we managed 3rd overall after 3 races out of ~15 boats

On Saturday evening I overnighted on the lake. Had good wind until about 10:30 when it dropped down to nothing but I was ready to anchor by then anyway.

A good end to a good season.

DBthal

Tom,

That looks like great fun!  Seems you did really well (of course we keep track, fun race or not). You're going to have to get a trapeze for that P-18.

Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Wayne Howard

That's not the FIRST reefing jib I've seen but it is on the smallest boat. Hmmm, no reef points on his main, tho.  ???
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

tjspiel

Quote from: Wayne Howard on Oct 02, 2023, 03:32 PMThat's not the FIRST reefing jib I've seen but it is on the smallest boat. Hmmm, no reef points on his main, tho.  ???

Ding Ding Ding Ding... We have a winner!

I had to take another look at the main because I know he had that jib specially made with reefing points. Would be surprised that the main didn't have any but it sure looks that way in the pic.

I zoomed in on a higher resolution photo and there are two sets of reefing points on the main, he just doesn't have any lines in them. He put the boat in late in the season and he also takes care of all the youth sailing boats so I'll cut him some slack. :)

Anyway, I thought the jib was pretty cool. If I hadn't gotten a furler I might have done something similar though I've only seen him reef the jib once that I can remember.

Straander

Wow. I heard about P165's winning races against bigger boats all the time, but didnt know a P18 could pull off that trick. Looks really exciting, though I have never heeled my 165 over that far before. A reef always goes in before it gets to that point  ::)
Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington

tjspiel

Quote from: Straander on Oct 02, 2023, 04:40 PMWow. I heard about P165's winning races against bigger boats all the time, but didnt know a P18 could pull off that trick. Looks really exciting, though I have never heeled my 165 over that far before. A reef always goes in before it gets to that point  ::)

I'd normally reef in those conditions too, but it was a race dammit. ;)

Happy with that picture but heeling more than I'd like. Definitely not the most uncomfortable moment of the day though.

The Hobie capsized before the start but they righted it quickly enough.

tjspiel

Quote from: DBthal on Oct 02, 2023, 02:42 PMTom,

That looks like great fun!  Seems you did really well (of course we keep track, fun race or not). You're going to have to get a trapeze for that P-18.

LOL. A trapeze. Now that would be a sight. :)

Quantico Frank

Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

tjspiel

Quote from: Quantico Frank on Oct 02, 2023, 05:55 PMNice photography, Tom!

Thanks Frank. Can't take credit for the racing picture. That was somebody on the Flying Scott.

Riggerdood

When I saw the first pic, I immediately guessed Rhodes 19 on the left (would know one of those a mile away) and O'day 222 on the right (logo on main kinda confirmed my suspicion), before reading the text, so do I get any extra credit? <grin>

Yes, you can see the reef point reinforcement patches on the leech of the R-19's main.

Glad you had a great wrap-up weekend Tom!
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Brian N.

Glad you had an exciting culmination to your sailing season. Great photography. Inching out the Rhodes 19 was a coup! I sailed one many times and they are a solid performer.
Fair winds
Brian N.

tjspiel

Quote from: Brian N. on Oct 03, 2023, 08:34 AMInching out the Rhodes 19 was a coup! I sailed one many times and they are a solid performer.

I think they had a half dozen people on that boat and they still finished ahead of us in one of the races. Normally there would be no way I could pass them. :)

Captain Kidd

Nice little thread! And nice pics too as already stated.

Just watched a video about a 19 yr. old sailing the across the Pacific in a Nor'sea 27. Spoke frequently about reefing his jib. Of course, a much bigger boat.

tjspiel

Quote from: Captain Kidd on Oct 03, 2023, 02:32 PMNice little thread! And nice pics too as already stated.

Just watched a video about a 19 yr. old sailing the across the Pacific in a Nor'sea 27. Spoke frequently about reefing his jib. Of course, a much bigger boat.

The only bigger (26' +) boats I've been on have been charter boats except for one and those all had furlers.

I had assumed that the cruising boats with hank-ons would just hoist a smaller jib but I'm sure there are plenty like me who can't/won't spend the money on a ton of sails or that want to minimize the space required to store them.

It's a clever solution, - like two jibs in one.

tjspiel

Quote from: Riggerdood on Oct 02, 2023, 10:37 PMWhen I saw the first pic, I immediately guessed Rhodes 19 on the left (would know one of those a mile away) and O'day 222 on the right (logo on main kinda confirmed my suspicion), before reading the text, so do I get any extra credit? <grin>

Sure, you can have extra credit. :)

The Rhodes is pretty distinctive although I'm not sure the newer ones have jumper stays, and I've heard some people take them off.

I like the O'Day 222s a lot. Looks like a larger version of the P-18.