Pettit Premium HRT— Report Back after One Year

Started by Quantico Frank, Mar 27, 2023, 09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quantico Frank

Here's a data point: I had been looking for a really good bottom paint for sailing both in fresh and salt water which I do various times each season. The company that I have paint my bottom recommended, after a lot of research with the manufacturers on their part, Pettit Premium HRT. I'm liking it at this point primarily because it looks like I'm going to get a second season out of the paint job they did before last season. I wasn't getting that with the the other paint that I had been using, Interlux Micron VC-17m. $500 saved is $500 earned!
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

Dave Scobie

VC17 isn't really good for anything besides low fouling locations.  I've seen folks try and use in the PNW with very bad results.

Riggerdood

That's great intel Frank, thanks. If my boat ever goes back into a slip at Lake Perris, I'll probably go with that, since I'll also be sailing both fresh and saltwater at times.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Quantico Frank

Quote from: Dave Scobie on Mar 27, 2023, 10:01 AMVC17 isn't really good for anything besides low fouling locations.  I've seen folks try and use in the PNW with very bad results.

Seems to me that VC-17m is heavily used on inland lakes and rivers in the east and mid-west. It kinda worked for me, but not as well as the Petit product.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

Dave Scobie

Quote from: Quantico Frank on Mar 28, 2023, 08:24 AMSeems to me that VC-17m is heavily used on inland lakes and rivers in the east and mid-west. It kinda worked for me, but not as well as the Petit product.

On Lake Dillon CO many folks used VC17.  I ran boats without and they looked about the same when hauled at the end of the season (mid-May through the end of September). Dillon was so cold it was extremely low fouling.