Things you're happy with, things you're not

Started by tjspiel, Oct 08, 2023, 12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjspiel

Quote from: Riggerdood on Oct 12, 2023, 11:27 AMTom, I got Rum Line's ladder treads here, and have been very happy with them. The design solves most of the issues you have with the Defender ones.

https://www.aproposmarine.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

Thanks Tim, I can take another look at those but the last time I checked I believe I would have needed a custom size since the ladder on the P18 is pretty narrow. I'd just assumed that would be more than I wanted to spend but maybe not.

Brian N.

As far as raising the P165 mast by myself, parking on level ground is very important. Preventing the mast from leaning sideways can be controlled more easily as long as the boat is level.

Warning- long narrative:
To raise the mast by myself I first take the jib sheet shackle and use it to secure a loop around the bow pulpit (starboard top rail). Then I tie 30 feet of line to the end of the halyard and rove it through a small block, also secured to the bow pulpit. The line is then lead through the jib block (port side) and finally rove through the port side cam cleat, but not locked down.

At this point I have already raised the mast onto the mast crutch, walked the mast back and secured the T pins into the tabernacle. Important - check for kinks in the rigging! Now, I tension the jib line hard and lock it down in the cam cleat. Using my hands under the mast, I walk the mast up a foot or so, hold the mast up with one hand (not heavy) and use my left hand to re-tension the jib halyard and lock it down again. When parked on level ground, I find sway is negligible. This gives me brief rest if I need it. Another foot and repeat. Very quickly it reaches a "tipping" point where the mast almost goes up without effort. I tighten the jib sheet line as hard as possible and cleat it off. The mast is secure and vertical, allowing me to pin the forestay in place. The entire process is probably ten minutes, longer on hot days. Of course, nothing beats raising the mast with my 6 foot tall son  ;)

Lowering the mast with this set-up is easy. Holding the jib line allows a fully controlled descent of the mast.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Brian N.

Tom - I really like the ladder steps that you installed! Easy solution. This is an easy must do. Although you were not completely satisfied, it is better than the narrow, slippery rungs.  This past summer I had a sailing buddy who had some difficulty boarding via the ladder because of the narrow rungs.
Fair winds
Brian N.

tjspiel

Quote from: Brian N. on Oct 13, 2023, 10:01 AMTom - I really like the ladder steps that you installed! Easy solution. This is an easy must do. Although you were not completely satisfied, it is better than the narrow, slippery rungs.  This past summer I had a sailing buddy who had some difficulty boarding via the ladder because of the narrow rungs.

Just about everybody who's climbed that ladder has been in visible discomfort even if they don't say anything. :)

I'll try swapping sides and see if it's any better but it could be that different people will have different preferences. I'll post a question to the company that Tim linked to see what size I actually need and whether or not their stock sizes would work.

Otherwise I think the options from Catalina are a nice fallback.

Riggerdood

Tom, Ralph's the guy at Apropos that you want to talk to. I'm not entirely sure, but I was under the impression that they make the treads custom to your measurements. It's been 7 years since I installed them though.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Riggerdood

Quote from: Quantico Frank on Oct 13, 2023, 07:08 AMThanks, Dan and Tim! I already have the extra line running from the masthead to a block at the bow and back to a cleat on the top of the cabin which will do much of what Tim's rig does in the video. The A-frame will allow me to take one hand off the mast to use the line. Good off-season project, and cleats in those two locations abeam the mast will also be incredibly handy for locating fenders as well.
No prob Frank! Anything to make mast raising/lowering easier and safer is a good thing.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand