News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Turtled my P 165

Started by Eddie C, Oct 09, 2023, 10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Straander

Dang. Thats a very scary story Eddie. I wasnt too surprised hearing this had happened to a P18, but I kinda thought the P165 was immune to turtling and would always self-right when knocked flat because of its bulb-keel design.

Also bummed to hear the bow sits underneath the water when completely flooded. was all the stock floatation foam in the default place? was there a normal sized battery secured in the normal battery storage spot?
With my battery mounted where it is up in the bow, its making me wonder if I need to consider extra flotation up there.
Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington

Eddie C

While in limbo during the knockdown, if the wind had let up a tad, I suspect the boat would have righted. Needless to say, I was astonished when it did not. To my knowledge all stock styrofoam was in place as well as 2 thick walled smallish styrofoam coolers near the back. I had no battery mounted but had a 7 lb battery sitting in front of the cooler. An 8 lb anchor was in a box just behind the mast. Surprisingly, neither of these items fell out while inverted. While awash in the boat I stayed as far back as I could beside the motor. As I said, I will fill the cooler with styrofoam and strap it in. If I knew how I would post a pic of the mostly submerged boat.

Straander

Quote from: Eddie C on Oct 10, 2023, 07:40 PMWhile in limbo during the knockdown, if the wind had let up a tad, I suspect the boat would have righted. Needless to say, I was astonished when it did not. To my knowledge all stock styrofoam was in place as well as 2 thick walled smallish styrofoam coolers near the back. I had no battery mounted but had a 7 lb battery sitting in front of the cooler. An 8 lb anchor was in a box just behind the mast. Surprisingly, neither of these items fell out while inverted. While awash in the boat I stayed as far back as I could beside the motor. As I said, I will fill the cooler with styrofoam and strap it in. If I knew how I would post a pic of the mostly submerged boat.

Hit "reply" dont go to quote or quick reply. Then open the "attachments and other options" drop down box below the window. Drag the file in to it, hit "upload" then copy-paste the "attach id" generated code in to the response window.

You cannot view this attachment.

Eddie C

Pics attached (I hope). Eddie C

tjspiel

Quote from: Eddie C on Oct 10, 2023, 09:22 PMPics attached (I hope). Eddie C

Wow.  You're right, if it was floating a bit higher it could have been bailed out enough to make towing easier at least, though that probably would have been a lot of work.

A couple of weeks ago I helped a friend with one of the youth sailing boats that had blown over at its mooring during a storm. It would have turtled too except that it was shallow and the mast stuck in the mud (which was its own problem).

After we got it righted, it too was floating too low to bail. Had to drag it to shore. It was super unstable and a fight just to keep it from capsizing again.

It took a long time to get the water out of it.

Riggerdood

Straander, it works with quote too, just not quick reply.

Also, after dragging/dropping and uploading, just hitting the insert button does the copying and pasting for you.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Straander

Quote from: Eddie C on Oct 10, 2023, 09:22 PMPics attached (I hope). Eddie C

Oh daamn. The flotation really seems to be designed around just barely keeping the boat salvageable, rather then keeping it in a state where it will keep the crew safe in the case of major flooding in the open water.

I am really thinking of ideas now on how to add more bow flotation to mine. I want a bit more piece of mind for when I take it out in the ocean with multiple crewmen.

Straander

Also, for everyone's reference. This compartment on the left side of the cooler storage area in the P165's bow is completely empty. If you cut an access hole in to that overall area like I did, you can fill it with little 2'x1'x3" foam blocks to bolster up bow flotation. I merely did it to replace foam I removed to make room for my battery.

DBthal

Edited Image from Eddie C:

That certainly is an eye opening image for P-165 sailors that thought the factory floatation would float the boat higher. I usually sail with the companionway hatch open!

Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

eaglecreeksailor22

Yes it is, I will put hatch boards in when wind is above 5 mph. I sail an inland lake that is known for unexpected guts of winds.

Brian N.

I think some inflatable flotation in the peak might be a fine solution to keeping the bow higher. Currently I have my "big" anchor (8 pounds), chain and rode in a bin in the peak. I might move it aft after seeing how the boat just barely stays afloat.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Straander

I'd want a more permanent solution then something inflatable that I'd have to re-inflate every time I go out. But I just recalled that I cant fill the bow with rigid foam because then It'd be impossible to get the boom in the cabin.

Eddie C

Good point about the boom - it barely fits anyway. I like the idea of filling the compartment beside the cooler area. Think I'll also bag up some worn out life jackets and cushions, seal them in the cooler and secure the cooler. I felt under the front compartment - the styrofoam in there felt rounded and worn down from many years of shifting. A previous owner had stuffed a few pool noodles in there too. I will try to add styrofoam there also. Another option is to pour expanding liquid into the holes for cup holders behind the back rests. I hope to never capsize again but hitting a submerged piling would be another possibility for taking on water. A sobering thought is what would I have done if fellow sailors had not been there to help.

Straander

Is expanding foam closed-cell, and does it have the longevity to keep from disintegrating over time?

Eddie C

Coincidentally, the day after my capsize, I received an email ad from Jamestown Distributors for a 2 part polyurethane 94% closed cell foam which is unaffected by gas/oil and provides 75 lbs of flotation per quart. It comes in 2 quart kits. No, I'm not a paid advertiser but I may try their product. The brand is Total Boat.