CDCR 2K23 1 of 6 parts

Started by Charles Brennan, Oct 09, 2023, 07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles Brennan

(Sorry for posting on the installment plan; seems to be a new restriction.)

Still racing in the Columbus Day Cruising Regatta, as I have been since 1977.  Missed a race, no thanks to Hurricane Andrew and another due to Hurricane Irma, and in 2020 I missed the CDCR, because I had my boat in pieces strewn about the garage, carport and attic; taken apart like a cheap watch, while I re-painted and refurbished her.
Otherwise, I've been there.
When I first started, it was strictly limited to the first 750 entries.  But hurricanes, changing times, changing interests, and aging-out of the traditionalists have all conspired to reduce this year's field to 33 boats.
Figured I was a shoo-in for a prize since they award three to each division and there were only 3 registered in my class: Gunkhole.
Then, a fourth person entered in Gunkhole class and now it was a race!  :)
Forgot ONE little detail: You have to be able to finish the race.
I didn't know that when I left Gainesville early Friday morning (well, early for the "noon"balloon", anyway).

Stopped at the flagship West Marine in Fort Lauderdale on my way down.
Been having trouble with my centerboard winch cable.  Seems, I had used too small a diameter cable. 
While sufficient in terms of strength, it took forever to crank the winch enough for the finer wire to wind around the winch axle and the strands continually crossed over each other and jammed.
Most of the WM stores up here in north central Florida don't even have a customer sail rigging area, like the Ft. Lauderdale store has.
My first problem was parking the rig.
WHAT kind of Brain Dead Architect, designs a marine store that doesn't accommodate people towing oh, I don't know, BOATS!?!??
How to chew up 6 parking spaces:
You cannot view this attachment.

When all you would have to do is to remove opposing parking curb stops on one of the parking sections.
Not an overly tough concept, huh, fellas?

Nor was I the only boater to face this challenge.

THEN, when I got there, I found the rigging department had two cable sizes: too big and too small.
Instead, I bought a closed thimble and some Dyneema line in a large enough diameter to resolve my centerboard winch cable issues.

Then I hied me down to Crandon Marina, where the October King Tides were on full display.

Part of the docks were under water, so I knew I was going to have to wait until the tide went out a little in order to safely launch Urchin.

Here is where I parked.

Very close to the launch ramp.
As you can see, a few more years of rising sea-water levels and you can both launch and park, without even moving the tow rig!!

Admiring my recent modification whereby my boom vang gets temporarily re-purposed to aid in a Septuagenarian continuing to step a mast that posed no challenges whatever, back in his 20's.

Part 2 coming up.
Charles Brennan