News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Shiny Rope

Started by Scooter, Oct 13, 2023, 04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooter

I'm replacing the dock lines so I ordered some 3/8" 3-strand from Duckworks and got this. I'm new to new rope but I never knew it could be so shiny. Is that a new thing or does if fade after a bit? Seriously, in the sunlight it looks like a disco ball. Older, possibly '85 original lines for comparison.

You cannot view this attachment.

Brian N.

Looks like normal white nylon dock line. Nylon has some luster. The older line looks stained from years of use. I rinse my lines in clean fresh water after use, and wash all my lines in Woolite brand at the end of the season before storage.
Fair winds
Brian N.

NickScheuer

The term for Dacron line exhibiting a dull finish (and a softer feel in hand) is "Brushed Dacron".  New England Ropes sells it.  It's all Edey & Duff ever used on any of their range of boats.

NickScheuer

Brian's post (did not see earlier) prompts a q.  Is the line Nylon or Dacron?  Nylon would make for better dock lines and is not available "brushed".  Maybe the degree of gloss is variable, eh?

Brian N.

Dacron polyester is usually braided, but can be found in 3 strand, often made to resemble a natural fiber. I just purchased some white nylon (polyamide) line for an anchor rode and it looks exactly like the photo posted by Scooter. There is the chance the brown line was that color when new, as nylon and Dacron can be found in many shades, but for marine use it is usually white. The other small possibility is that the brown line is polypropylene, a cheap light weight line. But the "mop" at the end is more usual of nylon or Dacron. Anyway, after 38 years, it is time to replace the line.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Scooter

This is plain nylon 3-strand. The sparkles aren't a problem, just a surprise. I'll keep the brushed Dacron in mind for next time.