News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

What's this for?

Started by Scooter, Oct 30, 2023, 01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooter

Getting close to 'good enough' on my project WWP-19 and looking closely at the main I'm trying to figure out what this grommet is used for. Any ideas?

Also yes, I do need new sails.

You cannot view this attachment.

JerryC

For the cunningham. First reef is above it.

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Wayne Howard

Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Scooter

Wow, I had no idea. I'm not sure if this is standard, but I think the downhaul connects directly to the gooseneck on the WWPs; so I was pretty sure that wasn't it. And the reef is pretty clearly the next one up. Thanks, everyone!

JerryC

Tack goes to the gooseneck. Cunningham/downhaul is separate and used to tension mainsail luff and depower. You can get more purchase (maybe 2:1, or more) with a downhaul than cranking on the halyard. Just another adjustment, along with the outhaul...

Scooter

Ayup, tack to the gooseneck, gooseneck to the downhaul, Cunningham is completely separate. halyard and downhaul give about 8 inches of play as to exactly where the main sits. Probably best to run the main as high as the halyard/track allows then tension with the downhaul?

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Scooter, you're relatively new here....

A long time ago, there were some running arguments about what to call things, the most virulent being the one about cunningham/downhaul. 

My post was a joke. :)

Scooter

Got it. I'm surprised that didn't make it into the captcha questions. : )