I just ordered new sails for my P-165

Started by Lattitude Adjustment, Mar 28, 2023, 12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lattitude Adjustment

Hello all,

Also, Ron D. (S/V She Said No), I have watched several of your videos. Not sure if you will see this or not, but I was hoping you could chime in about your experience with custom made sails for these neat little boats. I got mine about a year ago and have been transforming it into the perfect micro-cruiser.

I just ordered a new set of Cutom Tri-Radial sails for my 2009 P-165. The company is Far East sails out of Hong Kong. I need to give them some measurements and I was hoping someone else might have already done something like this and have a rough guide for me to refer too. I'm saving some money by not going through a middle man, but I would like to get this right.

I am planning to have a loose foot, triple reef main with sail slugs and 2 full upper battens. A 135% Furling Genoa with foam luff. I also plan to order a Ruddercraft Rudder and replace the factory rudder brackets. I had a custom A-2 Spinnaker made last year, hopefully I can get all the new sails rigged by June of this year.

Any help that other P-165 owners could offer me, would be great. I have never rigged a boat for sails that it wasn't already equipped for. I have owned other sailboats and I actively race near Annapolis MD on a Dehler 39 weekly. So I'm not afraid to cut/drill grind and glass my boat.

Thanks in advance for any help and I hope to see you on the water one day!

Quantico Frank

Welcome! I have a P165 as well and a Ruddercraft rudder which I like. Good idea upgrading the pintle brackets— Ron and I both ended up doing that. Ron also has a fair amount of experience with custom sails for his.

Frank
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

Shesaidno

Hi Lattitude, I read your post. New sails are almost always a good bet to improve your boat's performance. I ordered mine through my local Ullman dealer in Ventura CA and he came to my boat and measured, so I didn't have to provide dimensions, although I did let him borrow my old sails. Your Far East dealer will tell you exactly what measurements they need, although you might also find that info online or contact Bill at Precision. I've ordered three sails from my dealer and they have all been great. Well worth the investment. If you get the Ruddercraft rudder for the P165 I would certainly do as you plan, get bigger pintles and brackets because a larger rudder puts much more stress back there. I bent several pairs from Precision. Be sure you have interior backplates, not just large washers. Glad you had a chance to see some of my videos! Happy sails! Ron 

Brian N.

I have the measurements for the OEM Rolly Tasker sails, if you want them. However they are not exactly what you want.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Lattitude Adjustment

Hey all! Thanks for the responses. Any measurements would be useful. It will help guide me. I plan to lay everything out in the yard and take measurements this afternoon.

Also, does anyone know the sail slug size for the boom and the mast? Thank you and hope you all have a great day!