News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Guntersville Lake

Started by Captain Kidd, Nov 08, 2023, 08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Kidd

I had said I was going to do the TN River gorge this fall. Didn't happen. A couple of reasons: schedule, wife not up to overnighting on the boat (I really wanted to include her in on whatever trip I took). So... I began to look into an option of sailing for a couple days and sleeping ashore. I found Goose Pond Colony Resort on Guntersville Lake and it looked promising. It's only 80 miles from my house, one night in their lodge wasn't too terribly expensive and the forecast was SUPERB! Last but not least, the captain was game. So the trip was on.

I had planned to sail both days, but it took too long to prep on Monday morning. The boat hadn't been out in a year, so a quick bath with the pressure washer, getting gear together, etc, etc. I didn't fret. Like a good sailor I didn't let my schedule get in the way of a good time. We didn't get away til 1:00. We stopped for a quick lunch and just settled in for relaxation.

We arrived at the resort around 2:00 CST. Sunset was at 4:45 so we just checked in, got to our room, took a walk, sat on the veranda and enjoyed the view and the sunset.

You cannot view this attachment.

We were tired, the beds were comfortable, and we slept well. Awoke to a gorgeous morning.

There are 3 places to eat on the property. The only one open was the grill at the golf proshop. We drove over there and had a very simple but nice breakfast, returned to our room, packed up and headed for the ramp around 10:30.

Set up and launch went smoothly. One purpose of this trip was to try out my new Honda 2.3. I bought it back in the summer but had yet to get out with it. The manual says to run it at half throttle for 10 hours to break it in. The motor is a bit undersized for my boat, so I was very curious to see how it would do. We discussed this on the forum earlier so I felt I would be ok. Dave used to equip his Sage 15's with this motor. I was not disappointed. The motor did fine. I warmed it up while rigging. It runs better at the slowest setting a little warm. I learned that running it in my yard. It's air cooled so I can do that easily. One of the reasons I bought this particular motor. With a warm motor I was assured of having a "neutral" when in the water (it has a centrifugal clutch).

It was a mile plus out to the main channel. I've never seen so many shallows as I saw yesterday. Grass fields everywhere! I made sure I stayed in the main channel all day.

The wind was out of the SW so I figured I would motor south for a while and sail back. The plan went pretty well.

Had this little treat: 4 eagles flying around. Got this shot of two of them.

From my chart and maps, I think we did 20 miles in about 4-1/2 hours. A bit surprised at our speed but happy.

Take out went faily well. It took several attempts to get the boat on the trailer correctly. I took shorts and water shoes expecting that I'd be getting a little wet retrieving. I was right. But finally got it. We got the boat packed up and readied just as the lights were coming on in the parking lot and the very last faint rays of the sun were dissappearing. Stopped for a chicken sandwich and drove leisurely home at a pace of 60 mph.

I am happy to report that this trip was without "incident". No "stories" to add to my many!

Doug SC

Sounds like the perfect test run for future trips. Thanks for sharing. You should add a photo or two of your beautiful boat. I missed a great deal on a use Honda like yours, and might break down and buy a new one as I haven't seen another used one since this summer.

Captain Kidd

Quote from: Doug SC on Nov 08, 2023, 01:51 PMSounds like the perfect test run for future trips. Thanks for sharing. You should add a photo or two of your beautiful boat. I missed a great deal on a use Honda like yours, and might break down and buy a new one as I haven't seen another used one since this summer.

Well, since you asked... Here are three from the trip.

I only have a couple of her under sail. It was pretty windy when the following pic was taken; hence, no jib flying. My wife is not a big fan of heeling. I guess I could have reefed the main and set the jib but this was easier.

She is a 1988 Hunter 18.5. She has a wing keel with a draft of about 2-1/2' and comes in at 1650 lbs. dry. I bought this boat in 2012. I haven't done a lot to it. Crushed the Yamaha 4hp which is why I have the Honda 2.3. I keep her under a tarp supported by a ridge pole mounted on stands. She's been to Pensacola Bay, the GA ICW and local lakes. Raising the mast yesterday was easier than I anticipated after my back injury earlier this year. I have always been able to do it without mechanical advantage. Might make a difference in how long I keep her.

Anago is a Greek word. In the New Testament it is translated "set sail" or "launch forth". As in Luke 8:22 "Now it came to pass on a certain day, that he went into a ship with his disciples: and he said unto them, Let us go over unto the other side of the lake. And they launched forth."

It also refers to the resurrection of Jesus twice: in Romans 10:7 "Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)" Here "bring up again" is from anago. and Hebrews 13:20 "Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant". Here "brought again" is anago.

As a sailor and pastor, I thought it a fitting name.

Frank B.

What a great trip! Guntersville lake is where I bought my Compac 23.  I made an offer subject to inspection and it was refused.  Three days later the owners, two very nice women called and said they would take my offer as they had already bought another boat and did not want to winter two.  They suggested I stay at the State Park Lodge so I was a little south of where you sailed.  The lodge was great, views to die for from the decks.  I almost asked if I could leave it there rather than towing it home so I could sail that lake some before I moved it. 

Glad you had a great trip.

Captain Kidd

Quote from: Frank B. on Nov 08, 2023, 06:43 PMWhat a great trip! Guntersville lake is where I bought my Compac 23.  I made an offer subject to inspection and it was refused.  Three days later the owners, two very nice women called and said they would take my offer as they had already bought another boat and did not want to winter two.  They suggested I stay at the State Park Lodge so I was a little south of where you sailed.  The lodge was great, views to die for from the decks.  I almost asked if I could leave it there rather than towing it home so I could sail that lake some before I moved it. 

Glad you had a great trip.

I've been to the state park a couple times. The Glen-L Gathering was held there for a few years. I stayed at the campground. A number of the attendees stayed at the lodge. I sailed on a Stevenson Vacationer there.

I love the Compac 23 (and the 19 and 25 for that matter). I looked at one back in 2004. Opted for a MacGregor 26 instead. Weight was the deciding factor. I would have had to purchase a tow vehicle had I bought the Compac.

One interesting thing about Guntersville Lake is that it is very straight. With the right wind you could sail on one tack for a long way. Yesterday I had a broad reach. At a couple points I could have sailed wing and wing but opted to stay off dead down wind. I had to gybe one time (well, make that twice to get to my rhumb line).

Thanks for posting.

Norm L.

Very nice writeup of a grand fall sail. I have done some research on that area for a vacation rental.

I have a book of direct translations of the Greek written Gospels. They are so much more readable than what a bunch of Brits did for King James version giving the bible a more grandiose sound rather than what was written by pretty commonfolk in Aramaic and Greek.
In my version it's "and they set off". Which still makes it a great name for a boat.

Captain Kidd

It is a nice area. Huntsville is not far away with all the NASA things. Guntersville has a nice theater. We were going to see "A Man for All Seasons" a number of years ago when we had an accident and didn't make it. Went later and saw a different play. I've been to the state park. I'm sure there's more. Goose Pond Colony Resort was nice, especially if you like golf and boating. They might have the best boating ramp I've ever seen. Their restaurant The Docks is supposed to be very nice and it's right on the water. They were closed Monday night and so we didn't eat there.

Not sure what Bible versions has to do with my boat's name, but as you stated, Anago was a good choice for my boat.