Cedar Key Small Boat Meet 11/23 Pt 2 of too many . . . .

Started by Charles Brennan, Nov 16, 2023, 09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles Brennan

(Apologies for the chopped-up report.  The TSBB server has suddenly limited pics to 8 per post.)

Roger, on his kayak-cum-tri-maran.
You cannot view this attachment.
(Hid his paddle, when he saw cameras out.)

A 26' Norwalk Island Sharpie named: "Gus" that sailed all the way up from  Sarasota, roughly 160 miles.
Way to make me feel a like a Total Dweeb, guy.
Then I reflected that light winds or no, at least they were at his back, all the way up and I didn't feel so badly.

Not quite as many boats as last May.

I was struck by how self-contained the sailing attachment is.
Mast, boom, sail, amas, lee board, all in one integrated unit.

A Crotch Island Pinky.
Think the guy built it just so he could say the name and watch people's reactions.

I was struck by the clew on the mainsail.  Wondered if it was designed that way, or if they just ran out of sailcloth when they were building it.

No clew grommets ripping out of THAT thing!

Part 3 of too many coming up,
Charles Brennan

Captain Kidd

I wonder if the different grommets in that clew would function like a block on a track that you run a jib sheet through?

Norm L.

Moving that point would affect the shape of the sail but affect it differently in any change in wind angle.

Captain Kidd

Quote from: Norm L. on Nov 21, 2023, 12:02 PMMoving that point would affect the shape of the sail but affect it differently in any change in wind angle.

Have you ever seen something like that? What would be the function/reason?

Norm L.

I have no idea. If the sheet could easily be shifted along that spar you could change sail shape. But how could it be moved under sail, and how many of the shapes would be any good.