New Orleans Regatta and meeting up with Norm L

Started by rfrance0718, Nov 19, 2023, 08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfrance0718

Just wrapping up a long coaching weekend in New Orleans, and what a weekend it was! My team from Dublin Coffman HS had qualified for the Great Oaks, Sugar Bowl Regatta along with 27 other teams from about a dozen states. This was Coffman's 4th big championship in 3 years, and their most successful to date. On Saturday they placed 6th in a 14 boat fleet to qualify for Sunday's championship and on Sunday they ended up 11th over all. We had super sailing conditions both days and warm southern sunshine as well.

On Friday Don (team administrator and assist. coach) and I met up with Norm L from this Bulletin Board! We got a great tour of the city and had a fine lunch. Norm lives close by Southern YC and he stopped by on Sunday to watch some racing. It was great to get together in person.

Southern YC put on a fantastic event for the kids. It's a prestigious historic club and it's hard to imagine that these kids get these types of opportunities, and I don't mind riding along on their coattails.

You cannot view this attachment.
Don, Gavin, Evelyn, Emerson, Me
Norm, Don, Bob

Norm L.

Thank you for posting those photos as I was glad to see the team. I do see what you mean about the ladies being better in light winds. The weekend was perfect, and I rued not being out on the water.

I liked the photo that should probably be called Curly, Curly and Curley. And, appropriately for three sailors, we had lunch at an airport. But we could see the sea.

The course

Here is the competition coming in after one of the races for crew change. You can see the Optis in the background

Here is the course and you can see a bit of wind as the boats round a marker.

Crew change

The Hardware. This was part of a very impressive series. It was the high school team weekend of the Sugar Bowl Regatta.   This has been going on almost every year since 1934 and its Wikipedia page will give you a good history. The total regatta runs every weekend for two months.

Captain Kidd

What a great event! Truly memorable for all involved especially those youngsters.

Met Norm some years ago and enjoyed the company. Got the tour and lunch as well. Great memories.