Mainsail Flaking - P21

Started by davepowell, Nov 30, 2023, 11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davepowell

I've arrived at the age when taking down the main on my P21 is a real chore, particularly single-handed. I'm thinking about either a lazy jack or dutchman. I had a lazy jack on another boat and found it was easy to get the battens fouled if not head-to-wind. Also had a dutchman on a larger boat. The boat is in the water for the summer, but mast comes down and main off for the winter. A dutchman seems like a real pain to rig/derig.

I would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations on specific brands.   

Wayne Howard

If you get the lazy jacks, get the 6 legged system. I have the 4 legged system on my big boat and it fails to control the aft end of the sail. The sail drapes down and blocks the view of the helmsman. If you're singlehanding, you need all the control you can get. It will still be a pain to derig for winter but IMO less of a pain than a dutchman rig. My $0.02 and worth every bit that you paid for it.  ;D
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Tom G P 21

I've been thinking of doing a Lazymate system. It's done by putting grommets on the leach and running a string through rings on the topping lift. Just haven't had the time and didn't like the ideas of putting grommets in the sail and find out I don't like it. I now have a new sail so I've thought of experimenting on my old one. I would probably only do the lower 2/3rds. Lazy Jacks just seem to be too much on a small boat.

You cannot view this attachment.

davepowell

Thank you! I hadn't heard of this and it sounds perfect for my situation. Will talk to my sailmaker after the holidays.