Ideas/Suggestions for a Mooring Cover for Slipping the Boat this Summer?

Started by Ed, Dec 06, 2023, 12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

My darling wife feels that we will sail more if we get a seasonal slip on Lake Allatoona at Harbor Town, again.  We tried it with the Compac 19 with mixed results, but "yes dear" is always the correct response when dealing with my wife.  ;D The problem, which we will still have, is time and rain.  The aft cockpit has a drain that we could leave unplugged, but if it got plugged up with leaves or some other debris, the boat could possibly take on 50 gallons of water in the aft cockpit and the deck hatch just forward of the drain leaks. The center cockpit has a sunbrella cover but still leaks in a downpour.  So I added the requirement of a full boat cover before getting a slip. Started thinking about whether we want a masts up or masts down cover.  Masts up seems like it would be quicker to go sailing but would require taking off the booms, pulling the masts, taking the mast covers off, putting the masts back up, and attaching the booms.  Reverse that when we get through sailing.  Not a lot of time saved that way. Probably going with masts down with masts sitting in the bullwinkles to provide support for the cover, which would let me use it at home on the trailer too. 
   I have perused online venues for a premade cover with a winch strap to secure it under the gunwales that I would add some snaps to since it would be sitting on top of the side decks along side the center cockpit cover. Most are 108" wide in the center, and I need 120" and double ended. The masts will be laying in the bullwinkles supporting the cover the length of the boat. Nothing premade and available online, that I have found, will work. Marine Concepts, the original manufacturer, that is out of business now, used to sell a monohull cover for $500, but that ship has sailed.
   I have reached out to 5 different local canvas companies, that advertise their work on mooring covers, with only one response.  He wants $1200 - $1500, and we would need to meet for measurements and fastening options (I'm thinking fitted with snaps all the way around including the sides of the center cockpit cover) before settling on a final cost.  That still won't cover the side decks or the forward part of the amas/akas that stick out from under the side decks.  Picture of what I am looking for, sans side decks, in a cover below.You cannot view this attachment..  Strange Bird showing the ama in stowed position with the side deck above You cannot view this attachment. 

Norm L.

That is a problem. With a full cover it seems like it is full rig/derig just like if it was trailered. Is there a ramp or crane where you could keep the boat there on the trailer and fully rigged?

Ed

Unfortunately the lake doesn't offer mast up storage, and even if it did, I would be 30 minutes from start to splash and would still need to keep the aft/center cockpits covered. The courtesy docks at all the ramps are anything but courteous, ergo the expense of getting a slip and some type of cover. I'm really hoping for some less expensive solution for mast down storage compared to a custom made cover.  Even with a cover over the masts in the bullwinkles, in a slip, we could be motoring out of the slip within a half hour as evidenced with our brief slippage of Strange Bird with tarps in our previous slip.  An unstayed cat ketch sailboat is simpler/lighter/less complicated than 99% of sailboats. Tarps are a pain, at best, and don't address critters/mold.  I love watching otters and snakes, just not in my boat.  You cannot view this attachment. 

Charles Brennan

Ed, If you're not up on current events, I went to Cedar Grove, Wisconsin, last weekend and bought a partially finished SCAMP! :) 
I drove right past Allatoona Lake (Hey! That's what the road sign said!) and observed what looked like to me, to be a scary-@$$ ramp.  :o 
It looked to be very long and very steep and I immediately re-thought my idea of coming up there some weekend with Urchin and sailing with y'all.  :o
I've got a Sailrite LS-1 (straight-stitch) sewing machine I could loan you, if that might help with your issues.
See if Becky wants a slip bad enough, to do some sewing!!  ;) 

Hope this helps,
Charles Brennan

Norm L.

Ed, you are right that the cat ketch has to be the most ideal rig for simple sailing. But not for a slipped open boat. Maybe that's why they are called a day sailor.

Ed

Thanks Norm, reality is a bi***, Strange Bird is definitely a day sailor, after considering our options.  Thank you Charles for your kind offer, but we have a serious sewing machine that Becky has used on this and other boats, but this is a big job.  Went by the marina to get the cost sheet for our options, covered/uncovered/seasonal uncovered, and wouldn't you know it, I'm too cheap to pay $4000 for a covered slip per year, $3000 for an uncovered slip per year, or $2000 for an uncovered seasonal slip for 1 April through 31 October.  OMG, we'll trailer sail versus $3500, minimum, for a cover and to have the boat in the water and still need 30 minutes to be sailing.  Harbor Freight it is, for covering the boat with a tarp on the boat under the canopy.